Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Making clear candi sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
hiphops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Making clear candi sugar

I wanted to make clear candi sugar but instead it came out amber. According to my recipe, I was supposed to cook the solution at 260-275F for at least 20 minutes to invert the molecules, whatever that means, and then continue cooking it until the desired color is reached.

Anyway, after 20 minutes, the stuff was no longer clear but an amber color.

Anyone know what went wrong?

I want to make a triple and need clear candi sugar. Would this amber candi sugar be ok?

Swim - bike - run - repeat
Indict - convict - affirm on appeal - repeat
Brew - bottle - drink - repeat

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
KYB
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The temperature. The higher the darker. I chose this based on the experiments a couple people did with candi syrups (sry can't recall the names).

Light Candi Syrup:
2 Lbs Sugar
1 Cup Water
1 tsp DAP

Bring to boil on Medium. When it reaches 260*F add:
3/4 Cup Water
to stop the boil, stir gently. Continue to cool to room temp.

Now, that is not clear. It is a light yellowish color. I use that in my Tripel though. If you want the "clear candi sugar", you might as well just add table sugar, because that's all that really is. You're not getting any flavor from that.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Odaniel's right, for clear there's no need to "make" it, just add sugar to the boil. Many folks argue that the heat and the acidity of the wort alone is enough to invert it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply