Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Magic hat #9 clone..??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2007, 01:47 PM   #21
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
I may have to take you up on that offer... I dont need very much and HomeBrewUSA didnt have warrior hops, nor did they say they ever have them... I'd rather stick as close to the recipe as I can, that way if something tastes off I can't blame it on having the wrong hops...
PM me if you want directions, I live not too far off of 64 near the Mercury exit.

I am off Thursday and Friday and I even plan on brewing one of those days.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2007, 02:50 PM   #22
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Somethign still doesn't look right with this recipe. I ran it through Promash to get you an idea on how much Warrior hops to use--but looking at the OG I'm only getting about 1.038. I don't have the recipe with me right now so I can't confirm it in the mag.

If someone can type the exact recipe out I'll figure the specs in promash.

What does the mag say for IBUs and OG?

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 01-06-2007, 03:22 PM   #23
sonvolt
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Yep . . .it's been awhile since I have done an extract brew, but I ran this one through Promash . . . and I got 1.041, which misses BYOs own stats on the beer.

The recipe book indicates that this should be: OG - 1.047, FG - 1.012, IBU - 18, SRM - 9, and ABV - 4.6%.

Old 01-10-2007, 12:55 PM   #24
Jester
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I went ahead and brewed this over the weekend... everything went well.. I didnt take a hydrometer reading after brewing, so I have no idea what my OG was...

what are most people doing with the apricot extract..?? the recipe says secondary... but the people at the LHBS said it should be added when I keg... Thank again...

Jester

Old 01-10-2007, 01:35 PM   #25
Sandy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used the canned puree' when i brewed this. Added to secondary for 2 weeks, then i ended up racking over to a tertiary for (i think) a week. I wanted to get it off the fruit (so it wasn't) too fruity, but still wanted it to clear a bit more. The flavor & aroma turned out really good this way. Just a hint in the finish.

I guess if i were to use the extract i would do it at bottling/kegging, and just add a little at a time until the flavor is where you want it.

Old 01-10-2007, 07:34 PM   #26
butler1850
Recipes 

Quote:
what are most people doing with the apricot extract..?? the recipe says secondary... but the people at the LHBS said it should be added when I keg... Thank again...

Jester
I made the clonebrews recipe, but I used cherry extract instead of the apricot. I used 3 oz, and added it to the bottling bucket just prior to bottling. The next time I make this recipe, I'll be increasing the extract to the entire 4 oz bottle.

I did, however, increase the malt/hop bill slightly to increase the alcohol content.

It's mighty tastey after about 7 weeks in the bottle. Even the wife (who normally hates beer) thinks it's mighty good!

Old 01-10-2007, 07:50 PM   #27
Jester
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by butler1850
I made the clonebrews recipe, but I used cherry extract instead of the apricot. I used 3 oz, and added it to the bottling bucket just prior to bottling. The next time I make this recipe, I'll be increasing the extract to the entire 4 oz bottle.

I did, however, increase the malt/hop bill slightly to increase the alcohol content.

It's mighty tastey after about 7 weeks in the bottle. Even the wife (who normally hates beer) thinks it's mighty good!
What did you increase...??? Do you have numbers..?? I was thinking of doign the samething before I brewed this time..

Jester

Old 01-12-2007, 08:06 PM   #28
butler1850
Recipes 

Quote:
What did you increase...??? Do you have numbers..?? I was thinking of doign the samething before I brewed this time..

Jester
As a matter of fact, I happen to have my brewlog with me, as I'm hitting the LHBS on the way home. (Still not 100% sure what I'm going to make this weekend)

Original (changes) from CloneBrews

1/2# Crystal 60L - 20 min steep @ 150F
5.5# (6#) M&F Light DME
.5# (1#) F&F Wheat DME

1.5oz (2oz) Tettnanger - 60 min
.25oz Willamette - 15 min
.25oz Cascade - 15 min

1tsp Irish Moss

Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast.

@ secondary (added to bottling bucket) add 3oz Apricot extract (used 3 oz Cherry)
Bottle w/ 1.25 cup extra light DME

OG 1.051-1.053 (1.061)
FG 1.011-1.013 (1.016)
ABV 5.1% (6.5%)

I like the increased alcohol version, I think it balances very well. I'd probably increase the late hop addition a little next time. I'll add 4oz cherry extract on the next batch as well.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:43 PM   #29
cfos
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by butler1850

Hope no one minds me bring back this thread, but... I'm brewing a Apricot wheat and plan on using the Brewcraft Apricot (liquid) extract. My LHBS also reccommended that I add the extract to taste before bottling, although I've also read that you don't want to unnecessarily add air to the brew... so, I guess I just pour some extract in, stir and pull out a sample?

Sorry if this is a beginner question, but... I am a beginner. Thanks.

Quick Reply