Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Madness with ingredients

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2007, 04:04 PM   #1
Loweface
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Madness with ingredients

I was wondering, if an enzyme is not broken down in the process of converting the starch in grain to sugars would there be enough enzyme to convert both the starch from the associated grain and an additional non-grain starch source? From what I've read it's common to add sugar or DME to make up for convertion efficencies that are lacking. I realise additional starch will not help or may hinder efficienies. Various beer producing Countries run purity laws that lead to a stong tradition in great beers but isn't there a little room for the more wacky experimentation in small batch home brewing?

Crazy or just insane?

Last edited by Loweface; 09-14-2007 at 04:08 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

sure, people make beer with potatoes, corn, and all sorts of weird starch sources

Old 09-14-2007, 06:25 PM   #3
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmck1
I was wondering, if an enzyme is not broken down in the process of converting the starch in grain to sugars would there be enough enzyme to convert both the starch from the associated grain and an additional non-grain starch source? From what I've read it's common to add sugar or DME to make up for convertion efficencies that are lacking. I realise additional starch will not help or may hinder efficienies. Various beer producing Countries run purity laws that lead to a stong tradition in great beers but isn't there a little room for the more wacky experimentation in small batch home brewing?

Crazy or just insane?
What you are talking about is adding adjuncts. Common adjuncts include oatmeal, flaked barley, and corn. But as was mentioned anything with starch can be converted if the starch is made available to the enzymes (often requires cooking the ingredients first) and the enzymes have enough concentration. Pale malts have a much higher enzyme ratio than Pale Ale, Munich and other more roasted malts.
Craig

Old 09-14-2007, 06:36 PM   #4
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

One of the things to look up is the diastatic power (often listed in °Lintner) of you malt. This gives you a rough idea of the malts ability to convert not only itself but additional starches.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:13 PM   #5
jdoiv

Recipes 

From what I understand, the big breweries that use lots of adjuncts use a mix of 2-row and 6-row to help with the conversion. 6-row has more dp than 2-row. You could always add a little six row in to help conversion.

Fermenting:
Planning:

Old 09-17-2007, 10:05 AM   #6
Loweface
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Cool, when I finally go all grain I might just have to have a go adding some spuds to the mash!

Old 09-17-2007, 01:34 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 936 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 28

When you finally go all grain, you're going to have a lot more to think about then playing with potatoes. It's an adventure in and of itself. Bring in Mr Potatohead a year later.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply