Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Made a starter, then decided I don't like the yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2007, 07:59 AM   #1
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Made a starter, then decided I don't like the yeast

I recently loaded up with a load of yeast and hops. I have about 6 different types of each to choose from. However, I also have 2 vials of white labs that is more than 3 months out of date. One is a Super High Gravity Ale Yeast. The other is the European Ale Yeast.

So I made a starter out of the European Ale Yeast using some old LME that I don't want in my beer and after 2 days it started bubbling the airlock and now after 3 days, it's going pretty well at about a bubble every two seconds (it's only a 1L starter). However, I started thinking about it and, well, I made a stout with this yeast and I didn't really like it all that much.

I was going to use it for my Alt Bier, but now I don't know. Does anybody else use this yeast strain? In my limited experience, it's definitely a yeast that benefits from at least a month of conditioning. Can anyone here say positively that it's worth brewing with? Personally, I think it has a spicy kind of burnt yeasty taste, sort of like a Belgian, that I don't care for. Then again, maybe it was just the stout that I made. Think it'll be better for an Alt with a few months of cold conditioning? I don't know. I don't have much experience with that yeast, just the stout. I guess I'm just looking for anyone else who's used the yeast and liked the finished product...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
Evets
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 85

The only way you'll ever really know, is to go ahead and use it. How bad could it be? Why waste the money?

Old 12-01-2007, 04:40 PM   #3
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I pretty sure its the strain Jamil Z prefers to use in conjunction with Lactobacillus to create a Berliner Weisse.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:46 PM   #4
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhoney
I pretty sure its the strain Jamil Z prefers to use in conjunction with Lactobacillus to create a Berliner Weisse.
Yes, that's what he said. But in an odd twist to the OP's predicament, he recommends that you NOT make a starter for a Berliner Weisse because it' s such a low gravity beer.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 12-01-2007, 04:46 PM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhoney
Yes, in the book he recommends the European Ale yeast, or US-05. I'm probably going to just use the latter, as I don't see the yeast, per se, being a terribly key ingredient (it's all about the lacto).

For an alt, both White Labs and Wyeast have a specialized Alt yeast, or Jamil recommends the German Ale yeast (which is distinct from the European Ale yeast).

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:01 PM   #6
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo
Yes, that's what he said. But in an odd twist to the OP's predicament, he recommends that you NOT make a starter for a Berliner Weisse because it' s such a low gravity beer.
Decant it and don't pitch all the slurry. I was just proposing a possible use for the yeast that seems to be proven.

Quick Reply