Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Made a American Wheat last night did something different.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
Bowtiebrewery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Made a American Wheat last night did something different.

Hi again...

Well I made about 11gallons of an American Wheat last night and did something a little bit different than I usually do when I make these refreshing summer beers.

I almost always use corriander in larger doses so for 11 gallons i used about 1oz ground up.
I always use lemon zest... I did about 1 large lemon and 2 small ones for this...

I throw this all in at about 5 minutes left in the boil...

What i tried this time might not do anything but please just reassure me on it.

At flame out I added the juice of those lemons to the brew kettle. I tasted the final wort product after cooling... I can taste lemon but more so the corriander /blueberry flavor.

Any harm in this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
pizzaman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

No harm, no foul. Especially with so little juice. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:54 PM   #3
Bowtiebrewery
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

will do... Should be good I imagine. I did a similar recipe last year but it was extract of Am wheat and I did not include so many hops or the lemon juice...

We shall see!

Old 05-21-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
bbrim
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The acidity of citrus is not very hospitable to bacteria so even if you added after wort dropped below 180 I would think you're okay. The only thing that could see as a potential problem is that if you separate your wort into two carboys and did not mix the juice, you might get a bit more in one carboy than the other.

Quick Reply