Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Macadamia Nut Caramel Chocolate Cluster Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
shutupjojo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Macadamia Nut Caramel Chocolate Cluster Beer

Got some of these from Costco and immediately wanted to make a beer that tasted like them. I figure its alot healthier to make a beer than sit and eat 5lbs of these little bastards. Started on a recipe but wanted to see some thoughts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 88

The nuts and chocolate have fats which can cause all sorts of problems in a beer (poor head retention, oily mouthfeel, staling etc...). I had issues with 1 cup of toasted/ground walnuts in the mash, I can't imagine what a pound or two of them would do to a beer.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 03-10-2011, 11:56 PM   #3
shutupjojo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I understand about all the fats and crap. I guess I should have worded it better.
The tubs you buy are about 5 lbs. I wouldn't even throw one piece in there. I am looking to brew a beer with a nutty , caramel , chocolate elements using only malt and mybe some extracts of chocolate and macadamia. Oh well.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Ah, much better idea! Some medium crystal would be a good idea, I normally wouldn't use a couple of pounds, but if you want it sweetness and caramel it wouldn't be a bad idea. For chocolate I've had the best luck with cocoa powder (mix it with some hot water and add it to secondary), although some chocolate malt for color/complexity wouldn't be a bad idea either. For the nuts I think extract is probably the way to go. Keep the hops light so they stay out of the way.

Good luck

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Quick Reply