The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Low on malt extract. Suggestions for a substitute?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
g-bus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Low on malt extract. Suggestions for a substitute?

I decided to make a spring cleaning brew with all of my leftover ingredients, but I only have about 2 pounds of dried malt extract. Unfortunately the closest homebrew store is about an hour away, so I was hoping to find something at the grocery store. I found a little bit of info about using various sugars as a substitute, cane, brown, honey, but wanted some input on this. Here's what I have so far:
Hops:
½ oz crystal
¼ oz Chinook
1 oz Chinook

Malt:
2 lbs Muntons amber dried malt extract

Grains:
½ lb carapils
½ lb c20

Yeast:
Red Star Pasteur Champagne, dry

I figure that I could make it with just go with the 2 lbs of dried malt extract, but that would prob make for a pretty light beer, and I'm really more into either very hoppy or very heavy. Thought about just doing a 2 gal batch too, but if I can I might as well stick with a 5 gal since its about the same amount of work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Go with a couple pounds of honey to boost it up.

On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider

Old 05-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #3
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1188

What about barley malt sweetner.Never tried it just noticed it the other day at a whole foods store @7$ for 24 oz.
Also an hour drive is about the same for the cost of shipping(probably more!) really but understand your point.
Same amout of work for 20 beers compared to 50 but compensating taste,you could add a some corn sugar/honey and get it up to 3 gallons and still have a pretty good beer. Also never tried that champange yeast.

Old 05-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 6

could try looking in the baking isle (aisle?w/e) they might have malt syrup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.

Quick Reply