Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > lots of hops, low boil times

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2006, 12:40 AM   #11
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

I've done 20 minute boils. When I do extract, I don't worry about hot break or bugs (except yellow jackets).

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2006, 05:17 AM   #12
texasgeorge

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There was an article in an issue of Zymurgy sometime this summer that talked about hefty, later hop additions. If you have a real bitter hop (like a Magnum for example), but don't want the big bitter punch you can add them at 45m (in a 60m boil).

Late-boil hop additions will also help with creating more or complex aroma without killing your beer with unwanted IBU's. IIRC the jist of the article was about adding complexion and variety to your beers, and not really at all about getting bitterness quickly. If I can dig it up I'll post some of the paragraphs I highlighted that were interesting to me.

Bottled & Conditioning: Michael Richards' NOT Racist Ale
Best of 2006: All Saints' IPA, Six-Malt Amber Ale, McClelland's Irish Red Ale
On Deck: English Honey Bitter, Chocolate Stout, House Pale Ale

Old 10-21-2006, 09:40 AM   #13
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgeorge
There was an article in an issue of Zymurgy sometime this summer that talked about hefty, later hop additions. If you have a real bitter hop (like a Magnum for example), but don't want the big bitter punch you can add them at 45m (in a 60m boil).

Late-boil hop additions will also help with creating more or complex aroma without killing your beer with unwanted IBU's. IIRC the jist of the article was about adding complexion and variety to your beers, and not really at all about getting bitterness quickly. If I can dig it up I'll post some of the paragraphs I highlighted that were interesting to me.
I'm not looking for a shortcut, that would only be a by-product of this short boil with a ton of hops. I have recently found amarillo and LOVE the flavor it imparts. It's tasty. I also am kinda looking for a house recepie to keep a certain beer on tap. It needs to be MEGA hoppy, but not too bitter. My friends don't like bitter much, I'm not a huge fan of bitter, but I've become quite the hop head. So my 4-5% ish pale ale must be MEGA hoppy but keep the IBU's low. This year's harvest in my area of amarillo is 9.8% so I must keep boil times down or use just a fraction of the bag of hops I have bought for bittering. Screw it, I figure, why not just put all the hops I can in for the IBU's I want all at once very late in the boil. That would make, theoretically (man this site needs spell check), this beer very aromatic with a good heavy hop flavor. Some would even use the word complex. *shrug* Has anyone ever tried this?

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Quick Reply