Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > looking for southern tier iniquity clone...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
donjonson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default looking for southern tier iniquity clone...

Has anyone tried this beer? I LOVE it! It is a black IPA/CDA/American Black Ale. Im not sure what the official name for the style is but this is my favorite rendition of it so far. I would love to try and make a batch of it. It has a good amount of roasty malts along with the burst of hop flavor/aroma/bitterness. It almost has a Belgian quality to it... almost.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
heywatchthis
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Southern Tier beers are easier than some to clone. Info from Southern Tiers website:

9% ABV
21 degrees plato
2 -row pale malt
debittered black malt
kettle hops : chinook, cascade
hopback :Willamette
dry hops: cascade, centennial

I know this doesn't completely answer your question, but this should be a really good start...and the malt bill is pretty simple. Just add 2-row to get the gravity and black malt to color.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 121

It is funny. I just had one the other day and was thinking about trying to come up with a recipe.

I looked on the bottle and on the website and found the info that the poster above did. The bottle shows 52.7 L ( I am not 100% sure since I am going from memory) SO the grain bill should be pretty easy.

The only thing they do not give away is the IBU's It does not seem real hoppy so an educated guess should get you pretty close. I am going to work on the recipe in the next couple of days. Maybe we can compare and see where it gets us.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Just checked the bottle I was wrong it says 56.2L. 21 Plato= 1.084 OG. Now Just need to figure the IBU's.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
donjonson
Recipes 

Does debittered black malt add any roasty flavor.
What sort if yeast do you think?
Is hopback the same as flameout?

Old 04-10-2011, 03:50 PM   #6
skibb
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Here's some quick numbers from beersmith...75% efficiency

16# 12 oz 2-Row 89%
2# 2 oz De-bittered Black Malt 11%

OG: 1.084
FG: 1.015
ABV: 9.05
SRM: 56.6

I suppose with that high an amount of de-bittered black malt it would impart some roasty flavors into the beer.

Hop-backs are similar to a flameout in that they don't really impart any IBUs and are for flavor/aroma but I think of it as a more intense 0 minute addition. You get more flavor/aroma from a hop-back b/c you are using whole hops and pushing wort through them right before you chill which kinda captures the purest flavor/aroma of the hops. You could probably mimic it with just a larger 0 minute flameout hop addition, especially if you whirl-pool the hops for a little bit

Old 04-11-2011, 12:06 AM   #7
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I did some research and found that SRM is not equal to degree L.

2 lbs of debittered black is way too much. They recommend 1to 5% of the bill.I think that about 6-8 oz would be plenty.

The formula I found is

( lbs grain X L) / total vol =SRM

so if I am doing this right

( 16 X 1.9)/ 5 = 6L

(.45 X 550)/ 5 = 50L

for a total of 56L

When plugged into brew software it comes to about 27 SRM

Old 04-11-2011, 03:41 AM   #8
skibb
Recipes 

I'm not sure about that formula...

For the most part I've read that SRM and °L are almost identical - further reading I've seen this formula several times

°L = (SRM + 0.6) / 1.35

And according to that there would be even more than 11% of de-bittered black malt...

Their recommendations are just that, recommendations. IMHO they expect someone using that malt to only want it for lending color - in the case with this beer it lends roasty qualities too, and that is perhaps because they use more than what is recommended and get more than just color out of the malt.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:11 PM   #9
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Looking at the BJCB style guidelines for a stout they range from 22-40 SRM. This beer falls on the lower end of that scale. When I tried the Iniquity Black Ale, I held it up to a light and it was not as black as many stouts. Almost a dark mahogany color through the light.

I plugged in 8oz of debittered black into my brew software and got 27 SRM which I think is about right. I think that 8 oz would give a slightly roasty flavor.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #10
skibb
Recipes 

Yeah ima grab one of those tonight - it's been a while since I have had one, and I need to have a better idea of what I'm talking about since my memory's faded. BTW I don't think this beer is considered a stout.

A little note on the color: with huskless malts, the amount of color it imparts can vary quite a bit depending on how well ground up it was prior to the mashing. The finer the grind the darker it will make a beer and the flavor will become more roasty (b/c more of the malt will be suspended in the beer). Also if they filter their beers this may affect the color as well, but I'm not sure they do this.

Quick Reply