Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Looking for something to put into new white oak barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
Bixter1
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Looking for something to put into new white oak barrels

I am looking for something to put into new white oak barrels? I was thinking a stoudt? Any recommendations?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
kjjohns5
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

IPA. Cigar City Brewing does White Oak IPA, and it's amazing. Extremely tropical flavor from the white oak. I'd make sure the IPA already has a lot of tropical notes. Sorachi Ace, Citra, Ahtanum hops. Make sure you have some Munich malt in the grain bill.

So good...

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/cigar-c...i-alai/123699/

Old 08-27-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
Bixter1

Recipes 

Sounds good. I have two barrels and might do an IPA and something dark.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:31 AM   #4
pkpdogg
Recipes 

How big are your barrels? Just a heads up that if you have the 60gal barrels and intend to fill them in new oak, the oak will take on much faster than you expect. I have a 60gal 3yr used (pinot noir) french oak barrel that has put more oak into my belgian wit than I ever would have expected in only a month and half. From my experience, prep well in advance to blend or have the means to pull your stuff out with a quickness. I'm lucky that the oak is just taming the 15% ABV, so I'm good to just let it lie for the time being.

Good luck!

Old 08-30-2011, 02:48 AM   #5
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpdogg View Post
How big are your barrels? Just a heads up that if you have the 60gal barrels and intend to fill them in new oak, the oak will take on much faster than you expect. I have a 60gal 3yr used (pinot noir) french oak barrel that has put more oak into my belgian wit than I ever would have expected in only a month and half. From my experience, prep well in advance to blend or have the means to pull your stuff out with a quickness. I'm lucky that the oak is just taming the 15% ABV, so I'm good to just let it lie for the time being.

Good luck!

Barrel beers, in my experience, pull a lot of oak in the first month but over the course of several more months the initial harsh oakiness fades and the beer as a whole grows far more complex. We did one as a club that I thought was ruined after 6 weeks, but now at 6 months it's awesome.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 09-10-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
Bixter1

Recipes 

Its a 20L (5 gallon) new white oak. I am thinking of a portert and letting it sit for a bit.

Quick Reply