Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Looking for a New Glarus Thumbprint IIPA clone (or similar) recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
Craichead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Looking for a New Glarus Thumbprint IIPA clone (or similar) recipe

Hello,

As the thread title indicates, I'm looking for a clone recipe or a recipe for something similar to New Glarus Thumbprint IIPA. What I enjoy the most about this double IPA is its perfect (in my opinion) balance between the strong, bitter hop flavor that is characteristic of double IPAs and its pleasant, somewhat sweet aftertaste. A clone recipe would be ideal, but I'm also open to a recipe that fits what I described above. Here is a blurb on the beer from the New Glarus website:

"A provocative 85 IBUs reverberates cleanly through this Double IPA. True hop saturation from kettle boil to dry hop cellaring dominates this elegant and lustful sensory enchantment. You hold a deceptively seductive Original Gravity of 19.2 Plato, following the always 100% natural bottle fermentation. Luscious English Maris Otter malt is the essential heart of this voluptuous double IPA. Surrender is inevitable so enjoy now."

Also, I'm looking to do an extract brew as I lack a mash tun. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
Craichead
Recipes 

Another IPA I'm looking to clone, although not a double, is Samuel Adams' Whitewater IPA. If anyone has any suggestions for this one, that would be great.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
BeerMikeW
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craichead
Hello,

As the thread title indicates, I'm looking for a clone recipe or a recipe for something similar to New Glarus Thumbprint IIPA. What I enjoy the most about this double IPA is its perfect (in my opinion) balance between the strong, bitter hop flavor that is characteristic of double IPAs and its pleasant, somewhat sweet aftertaste. A clone recipe would be ideal, but I'm also open to a recipe that fits what I described above. Here is a blurb on the beer from the New Glarus website:

"A provocative 85 IBUs reverberates cleanly through this Double IPA. True hop saturation from kettle boil to dry hop cellaring dominates this elegant and lustful sensory enchantment. You hold a deceptively seductive Original Gravity of 19.2 Plato, following the always 100% natural bottle fermentation. Luscious English Maris Otter malt is the essential heart of this voluptuous double IPA. Surrender is inevitable so enjoy now."

Also, I'm looking to do an extract brew as I lack a mash tun. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks!

I would love to have a clone recipe for this IIPA. It is my absolute favorite.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
edognight
Recipes 

Default Best beer ever!

I tried NG's iipa and had to sit down and rethink things. A true wobbly knees moment!

I too have been trying to clone this recipe, and it looks way too dark. It's in a one gallon on top of the fridge.

I started with 2# munton's dme light.
american ale yeast
EKG hops
centennial hops.

I later learned all of this is wrong. But --Do you know?? I think its marris otter, EKG hops and centennial hops.

I am going to try a AG batch biab on top of the stove this week. I'm going to do marris otter grain, EKG and centennials with about a 40 minute boil time and all hops added after 10 min, and many at flame out.

If it seems that I am a careless brewer, and do not sweat small details, that is completely true.

If anyone more experienced can chime in, I would appreciate it!

Old 03-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
BeerMikeW
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I understand the "wobbly knees moment" you experienced. Check out this article.

http://m.isthmus.com/article.php?article=32877

Old 03-29-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
edognight
Recipes 

So next time, its 1/2 american 2 row, 1/2 marris otter. (maybe all marris otter?)
Centennials, EKG, Citra and ???
Anyone have any ideas?

This is way above my head, but I am having fun.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
theSlex
Recipes 

Bumping this post. I'm attempting to put together a Thumb Print IIPA clone recipe (5 gallon all grain) as well but have been struggling to find much information online.

According to an interview with brewmaster Dan Carey there are four different American hops in equal amounts used for this beer.

Could someone with an exceptional pallet take a stab at the four hops used in this beer?

Old 08-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
edognight
Recipes 

If I might chime in, that beer I made was pretty good, but overly malty, as not all of the sugar got eaten, a little sweet. But this spring when trying the iipa again, I got a really fresh one (maybe too fresh) and it had a strong funky hop characteristic. Almost schwag weed (in the southeast US slang for marijuana) extremely herb-y and funky. It was almost too much, but if you let it sit a month, it was back to normal fantastic craft beer.

I, too am all ears if someone with a good palate can pick out the hops and timing. I suspect is is very high doses of funk hop @KO and 5 min. But I am an amateur.

I really appreciate this beer as it is not the run of the mill cascade bomb that is so often sold as a double.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #9
Craichead
Recipes 

Dan Carey (the brewmaster at New Glarus) was at the Great Taste of the Midwest this past weekend. I didn't even think about asking him about this, but I should have. He may not have been willing to divulge anything beyond that which is posted on the website, but it would have been worth a shot.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:41 PM   #10
edognight
Recipes 

Default Update

I am proud to say, I have made some pretty good beers in attempting to clone this, but I am far from grace.

The beers that I made fermented way too hot and had some spiced rocketfuel to them. Maybe some phenols and maybe some gasoline that i spray around the kitchen for fun.

I am going to guess it is all 2 row, it is a light beer, cloudy from bottle conditioning, and its only 70 ibu, but very flavorfully bitter. I am going to surmise it is the late hop additions, I don't really taste much bitter up front. This beer is far from a west coast cascade bomb!

It also taste similar to the double wheat beer (the hops anyway) that New Glarus made. A double hefeweitzen that was the bomb-bay! I think Drew Carey (is that his name?) is just showing off. He's that good. A dangerous man. A true beer ninja master.

I think big oz of EKG, centennials, maybe CTZ, and that's all I got. If anyone could chime in here. I have a full time job, and I am an under par brewer.

Cloning the New Glarus red champagne lacy top beer from heaven is the general direction I am going here.

Quick Reply