Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Looking for Lost Abbey - Judgment Day Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2013, 01:20 AM   #41
CrazyBastardsBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

sorry know this is a kinda old post but been using it to start messing around with a quad recipe and was wondering if anyone perhaps you lucky, can tell me bout the hops used in the last recipe... the East Kent goldings and the challenger. From what i can find they seem to be clean not very interesting hops i have never used them so any info or input about them would be appreciated from you guys i was thinking maybe swapping one or both out for something a lil more intense or atleast along the lines or flavor profiles i think of when i think quad.. perhaps Perle(german) or brewers gold(german) again hops i have no experience with so if anyone has any input on the matter it would be appreciated... thanks guys

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #42
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Updates?

Old 10-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #43
LuckyBeagleBrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

6My notifications seem somewhat sketchy from this site but I will but I will try to answer the questions since last post on here. The hops are the same ones they used in the original. I think they were looking more from the raisin character and more clean, light bittering. For a quad this is really a good combination. Challenger is a Northern Brewer variant and EKG adds earthy and spice. For this beer the hops are not on the forefront. Think raisin. It is a little sweet but hides alcohol to the point where it is dangerously deceptive. This is a 10.5% beer but it is easy to drink.

One thing this beer benefits from is age. Early on it was good but now that it has had some time on it, the beer is definitely getting better. I think this clone is very close. I have to find somewhere close to St Louis to get a bottle of the real thing again and do a side by side. From memory, this seems almost exact. I am getting ready to re-brew with the exact same recipe. The only thing I am changing is fire roasting the raisins on the secondary.

The beer has kind of a wine note with lots of malty flavors. Hops are not noticeable in this beer. I carbed this to almost 3 vols but it does not have bite from it. Next round will be all bottle conditioned and cellared for about 2 years.

On Tap: Grand Cru Clone, American Barleywine, Super Citrus Wit, Second Chance ESB, Mystery Porter

Old 10-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #44
ultravista
Recipes 

How much of the raisin flavor came through? For the 5 gallon batch, what amount of raisin works best? Can you tell the difference between different raisin types too? Did you go with the puree?

Old 10-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #45
LuckyBeagleBrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultravista View Post
How much of the raisin flavor came through? For the 5 gallon batch, what amount of raisin works best? Can you tell the difference between different raisin types too? Did you go with the puree?
A lot of raisin flavor came through on this. It translates in to almost a wine flavor. I think the two raisins balance each other and picking them out is not really possible. I think the lighter raisins prevent the beer from veering too close to actual wine since they have a much different flavor than the regular purple.

I did puree the raisins with vodka and left them in the secondary for 10 days. That really made a difference in the flavor. Also keep in mind this is batch is 11 gallons so you will have to scale it.

On Tap: Grand Cru Clone, American Barleywine, Super Citrus Wit, Second Chance ESB, Mystery Porter

Old 11-01-2013, 04:38 AM   #46
ultravista
Recipes 

In the flamethrower video, the raisins do not appear to be part of boil process as they are torched then the hopback is flooded with wort. Being the hopback, I suspect it was post-boil.

Quick Reply