Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Looking for Lost Abbey - Judgment Day Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2012, 04:00 AM   #21
ReverseApacheMaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

I seem to recall reading that they toss in the raisin at flame out, but I could be wrong.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 04:11 AM   #22
CharlieSD
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster
I seem to recall reading that they toss in the raisin at flame out, but I could be wrong.
I boiled my raisins for 60 minutes, chopped up in hops bags. I tasted what I pulled out and it was like flavorless jelly beans. Definitely got all the sugar out. Probably would get the same result with 15 minutes.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:32 AM   #23
LuckyBeagleBrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think Reverse is right but I believe they add so many (Pound per gallon) raisins there is still flavor left after fermentation. I noticed that if I added them at flameout, most of the flavor from the raisins was lost after a month of fermenting. I am going to secondary some raisin to try to get the flavor back in there. When I sampled this last week I could barely detect any raisin and I put them in at last 5 min. Overall though the taste was what I remember without that sort of winy, raisin y flavor. I destroyed 3 previous batches but I think this one has really set the tone for the right batch.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:55 AM   #24
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyBeagleBrewing
I think Reverse is right but I believe they add so many (Pound per gallon) raisins there is still flavor left after fermentation. I noticed that if I added them at flameout, most of the flavor from the raisins was lost after a month of fermenting. I am going to secondary some raisin to try to get the flavor back in there. When I sampled this last week I could barely detect any raisin and I put them in at last 5 min. Overall though the taste was what I remember without that sort of winy, raisin y flavor. I destroyed 3 previous batches but I think this one has really set the tone for the right batch.
About one year ago I had read a write up on Lost Abbey. The article mentioned how raisins were torched or broiled before adding to the boil/fermenter. The particular style was not mentioned and the article was more an homage to innovation at Lost Abbey/Port Brewing. Hope this might be of some help.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:13 AM   #25
LuckyBeagleBrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Ok tonight I have been at 1.014 for a few days. I think I am done with primary. Rousing the yeast did the trick for bringing it down. The raisin flavor is almost completely gone so tomorrow I transfer this to secondary with the puree. As the base beer goes, I think it is spot on. Hopefully after 7 days on raisins I have a winner.

I think the key to this is the caramel malts. Just the small sample I pulled for testing had that sort of chewiness that makes this beer great. I have to brew this again soon just to have many spares.

For those of you trying to make this. I hope it turns out this good for you. Please let me know.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:03 AM   #26
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddad View Post
About one year ago I had read a write up on Lost Abbey. The article mentioned how raisins were torched or broiled before adding to the boil/fermenter. The particular style was not mentioned and the article was more an homage to innovation at Lost Abbey/Port Brewing. Hope this might be of some help.
Wouldn't surprise me. Some of the recipes for Lost Abbey beers talk about caramelizing them with port. So there might be something more to the raisins than just tossing in plain ol' raisins.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:58 PM   #27
ao125
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I might have to try this in the near future. We get a ton of really good beer in the Washington DC area, but hardly ever any Lost Abbey.

Kegged (1/3): Traditional Old Ale w/ Smith Bowman Bourbon
Kegged (2/3): English Barleywine with pineapple chunks & brown sugar
Kegged (3/3): Belgian blond w/ passion fruit and brett & lacto

Old 08-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #28
ao125
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
Wouldn't surprise me. Some of the recipes for Lost Abbey beers talk about caramelizing them with port. So there might be something more to the raisins than just tossing in plain ol' raisins.
I made a beer with dates last year, and I had to do a bit of cooking with the pureed date paste to get it to the flavor profile I was after.

Kegged (1/3): Traditional Old Ale w/ Smith Bowman Bourbon
Kegged (2/3): English Barleywine with pineapple chunks & brown sugar
Kegged (3/3): Belgian blond w/ passion fruit and brett & lacto

Old 09-16-2012, 07:32 AM   #29
CharlieSD
Recipes 

So, I have given up on this round. I think I sparged too high, after repitching the fg didn't budge. I whiskey oaked it to try to counter the sweet a little, and it's not a bad beer, just not right. I think it's all due to my technique, so I will probably try this again later after using the same yeast on some lower gravity beers.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #30
sfrisby
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 261 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddad

The article mentioned how raisins were torched or broiled before adding to the boil/fermenter.
This.

There is a YouTube video out there of it being made at the brewery. They take a flamethrower to the raisins before adding the beer.

Quick Reply