The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Looking for a Lager/Ale Wort.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
mtyquinn
Brewer / Designer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Looking for a Lager/Ale Wort.

I'm planning on brewing with my father who does not have the ability to brew lagers. We wanted to brew up ten gallons and split the batch. I have a big slurry of Wyeast Oktoberfest lager yeast that I want to use up, but he will be using a to-be-determined ale yeast. Any suggestions as to what style to brew? Recipe suggestions?

"studiopub" for 10% off Grog Tag

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 372 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 19

You can make an Octoberfest/Marzen style beer and ferment it with lager or ale yeast. Both will end up with the same basic hops/malt characteristics, just the one that is properly lagered will end up crisper and cleaner. The one brewed with ale yeast and fermented at ale temps will be very similar, just lacking that lagered characteristic.

Easy enough!

Primary #1 - EMPTY!
Primary #2 - Cherry Wood Smoked Tart Cherry Cider
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown
Keg #1 - Blackberry Berliner Weisse
Keg #2 - Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - Berliner Weisse
Bottled - NONE!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply