Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Looking for an Irish Red with a Bright Red color

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2009, 05:47 AM   #21
Clayton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinck View Post
I'm tempted to go the beet route for adding some color boost, at which point I'll probably go for an amber recipe.

My thought on the beets is that I'll boil one or two then strain and add the water to my wort boil. Any thoughts here?

I'll probably put together a recipe this weekend and post for comments.

Stay tuned!
dont dubble boil it
i think you will break down some of the color
just put it in the main boil for the last 20 min
take 2 whole beets and slice them thin 1/8'' or so
and the color will come out really fast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2009, 01:57 PM   #22
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

I recently made an Irish 'Red' Ale that used 1# of Carared and .125# Roasted Barley and it's not really very red.

Wouldn't some Vienna (instead of some of the base malt) help a little with the red hue? Would Vienna be out-of-place in an Irish Red?

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 07-07-2009, 02:02 PM   #23
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3606 Times on 2224 Posts
Likes Given: 3117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
BEETS
just add one beet and it will be super red
and i dont think it will change the flavor at all
beets have a very mild tast
- snippy -

This is one of the more interesting ideas I have heard here. I can't wait to hear how it turns out. I am tempted to add one of them to a Barleywine that I want to be red.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:07 PM   #24
Halldawg
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Magic Hat has a summer beer out that is made with beet sugar.
Magic Hat Brewing Company - Wacko

Old 07-07-2009, 04:24 PM   #25
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
I recently made an Irish 'Red' Ale that used 1# of Carared and .125# Roasted Barley and it's not really very red.

Wouldn't some Vienna (instead of some of the base malt) help a little with the red hue? Would Vienna be out-of-place in an Irish Red?
It's at least a European malt, but it isn't quite in style I think. If you double up your roasted barley you'll get the colour you want. I used 0.25# and it was perfect. It also gives the beer that much sought after roastiness flavour

Old 08-07-2009, 02:24 AM   #26
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halldawg View Post
Magic Hat has a summer beer out that is made with beet sugar.
Magic Hat Brewing Company - Wacko
****tiest ****ing beer of all ****ing time!

Seriously. What the hell is wrong with me? I want to try something new, but I want something light and crisp and summer. Oh, hey - a new Magic Hat summer ale. I don't like most MH beers, but ****, it'll probably be a nice, light, maybe a wheat beer of some kind... summer seasonal, I'll give it a shot!

****. Dreck. It tastes like... earth. It's BRIGHT pink, they use beet juice apparently and it works; I better keep it away from the_Bean, 'cause it looks like carbonated kool-aid. Wife's got the camera, or I'd take a pic. This is a literal red ale.

And, it tastes like someone poured out a beer on the ground to their homies, but they were such a raving alcoholic they lapped it up off the ground. It's got a harsh aftertaste. VERY thin body.

Ugh. Why'd I buy Magic Hat again? They make ONE good beer (Roxy Rolles), the rest is just utter crap.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:27 AM   #27
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4782 Times on 3477 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
****tiest ****ing beer of all ****ing time!

Seriously. What the hell is wrong with me? I want to try something new, but I want something light and crisp and summer. Oh, hey - a new Magic Hat summer ale. I don't like most MH beers, but ****, it'll probably be a nice, light, maybe a wheat beer of some kind... summer seasonal, I'll give it a shot!

****. Dreck. It tastes like... earth. It's BRIGHT pink, they use beet juice apparently and it works; I better keep it away from the_Bean, 'cause it looks like carbonated kool-aid. Wife's got the camera, or I'd take a pic. This is a literal red ale.

And, it tastes like someone poured out a beer on the ground to their homies, but they were such a raving alcoholic they lapped it up off the ground. It's got a harsh aftertaste. VERY thin body.

Ugh. Why'd I buy Magic Hat again? They make ONE good beer (Roxy Rolles), the rest is just utter crap.
I understand. A couple of years ago, I bought "Joe's Garage"- a collection of MH beers. The only decent beer was the hefeweizen. Keep in mind that I HATE hefeweizens.

When people say, "I want to clone MH #9", the thought makes me gag. Drink a mouthfull of medicore beer, and shove a couple of apricots in your mouth. That's pretty much what I get out of $9.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:36 AM   #28
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 105

What pisses me off is that I KNOW better! I know they're a marketing company, not a beer manufacturer. I've been to the brewery, I know they're more concerned with selling swap than making a good product. I've been disappointed by them many, many times.

So why'd I buy that ****?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Quick Reply