Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Recipes/Ingredients (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/)
-   -   Looking for Hop Seeds (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/looking-hop-seeds-12193/)

Evan! 08-11-2006 06:09 PM

Looking for Hop Seeds
 
I recently built a trellis in my garden---it's three 4x4x12 posts with steel cable string between them---and I figure, why not get some hop plants to climb them next year. Does anyone know a good place to find plantable hop seeds?

Lou 08-11-2006 06:12 PM

search "rhizome" -- you'll get a few hits with a lot of information about people's homegrown hops...

Glibbidy 08-11-2006 06:14 PM

You may be hard pressed to find seeds. I think the Rhizomes are what you really want. It's probably alot easier to get the rhizomes to grow, as opposed to germinating seeds, unless your a horticulturist.

Evan! 08-11-2006 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glibbidy
You may be hard pressed to find seeds. I think the Rhizomes are what you really want. It's probably alot easier to get the rhizomes to grow, as opposed to germinating seeds, unless your a horticulturist.

Right on. I saw something about planting with Rhizomes when I did a google search. So, anyone know where I can order rhizomes?

Orpheus 08-11-2006 06:22 PM

A lot of online brewing places have them for sale. Northern Brewer had them but sold out of them by April. They'll be selling them again:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/rhizomes.html

BootYtRappeR 08-11-2006 06:26 PM

you can try freshops.com as well

also, here's a lengthy post on growing hops

david_42 08-11-2006 07:01 PM

You really don't want seeds, because you can't predict what the results will be. Much like apples. Rhyzomes are sections cut from known plants and they don't cost much.

BootYtRappeR 08-11-2006 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david_42
You really don't want seeds, because you can't predict what the results will be. Much like apples. Rhyzomes are sections cut from known plants and they don't cost much.

HMMM....so you would get an entirely new strain of hops to brew with that no one else has!:fro:

Chairman Cheyco 08-11-2006 07:27 PM

No, you might get male plants which don't have cones on them...

BootYtRappeR 08-11-2006 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chairman Cheyco
No, you might get male plants which don't have cones on them...

oh yeah, i forgot about it's relation to the other bud


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:57 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.