Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Looking for a good Belgian Trippel/Quad recipe (extract)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #1
NewBrew75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Looking for a good Belgian Trippel/Quad recipe (extract)

I'm looking to find a great extract recipe for a Belgian Trippel/Quad. I've tried to find extract clones for Rochefort 10, St. Bernardus Abt. 12, and have came up with nothing. I'll even take a good clone recipe for Chimay Grand Reserve (Chimay Blue) I do not have the ability to brew all grain, and I know it may be hard to make this beer with extract, but I'm willing to try. Thanks for your help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 09:58 PM   #2
fivehoursfree
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Check Austinhomebrew.com
I know they have a dubbel, trippel, and qadruppel kits, and all their kits come in extract, partial and full mash. I doubt they'd just give you the recipe though.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Tripel? Easy. Shoot for an OG of at least 1.075. 80-90% Pilsner extract, 10-20% clear candisugar or invert sugar (Lyle's Golden Syrup). Use noble hops for bittering and target IBU of around 30; a barely-detectable hops flavor is acceptable, but I don't like it. Ferment with a good Trappist or Abbey strain; I like WYeast's Trappist High Gravity.

That's it! Pretty simple, isn't it?

Cheers,

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 01-07-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
NewBrew75
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NQ3X View Post
Tripel? Easy. Shoot for an OG of at least 1.075. 80-90% Pilsner extract, 10-20% clear candisugar or invert sugar (Lyle's Golden Syrup). Use noble hops for bittering and target IBU of around 30; a barely-detectable hops flavor is acceptable, but I don't like it. Ferment with a good Trappist or Abbey strain; I like WYeast's Trappist High Gravity.

That's it! Pretty simple, isn't it?

Cheers,

Bob
Hey thanks! That sounds like a good basis for making a good beer. I've seen a lot of recipes that have coriander and grains of paradise in them. Do you use them? Any other tweeks for a great beer?

Old 01-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Not in a Tripel. I save the spices for Wit and Grand Cru. I find the best Tripels to be really, really, really simple. All the spicy flavors come from the yeast strain chosen.

Good luck!

B

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 01-07-2009, 04:03 PM   #6
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

So this is a recipe I made when I was still doing extract. Still my favorite beer I have made (including AG) and will probably brew some more up soon. it is definitely not a traditional recipe (especially considering the specialty grains and hops, but this was during the shortage), but the end result is awesome and definitely in the trippel/Belgian Golden Strong area as far as style with a bunch of complexity. I would probably also steep some Special B in it next time and switch to Styrian Goldings instead of EKG.

Steep 1lb3oz Flaked Rye; 13oz Flaked Oats

Boil 60 min (4gal)
3.3lbs Pale LME @ 60min
4oz Fuggles (4.7%) @ 60min
6oz EK Goldings (4.0%) @60min
1lb Clear Candi Sugar @15min
1lb Amber Candi Sugar @ 15min
6lb9oz Pale LME @ 60min
1tsp Irish moss @ 10min

WLP550 , don't be afraid to let it sit in secondary for a few months. Do be afraid of massive and fast start to fermentation. Use a big blow off hose in lieu of airlock. I did not, chaos ensued.

Like I said, definitely not a traditional recipe for a Belgian Trippel, but tried and true.

PS: Sorry I don't have more exact notes on fermentation temps, OG?FG, etc, but I lost all my stuff when Beerputer died. RIP Beerputer

Old 01-07-2009, 05:56 PM   #7
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBrew75 View Post
Hey thanks! That sounds like a good basis for making a good beer. I've seen a lot of recipes that have coriander and grains of paradise in them. Do you use them? Any other tweeks for a great beer?
Best secret for tripels is in managing fermentation since all the flavor is in the yeast. Start cool, say 60 deg for a day or two to manage fusels and then let the yeast ramp temps up to whatever they please. My best tripel last year used a Chimay harvest and hit 84 deg before finishing. Tasted just like Delirium Tremens.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #8
SkinnyShamrock
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post
Best secret for tripels is in managing fermentation since all the flavor is in the yeast. Start cool, say 60 deg for a day or two to manage fusels and then let the yeast ramp temps up to whatever they please. My best tripel last year used a Chimay harvest and hit 84 deg before finishing. Tasted just like Delirium Tremens.
Without even trying, I just did this with my tripel which is fermenting now. It was down in the shop for a few days at 60* and it was too cold, so I moved it upstairs, now it's 69 or 70*, and the airlock is going effing nuts. A bubble more than once a second. I'm a genius and I don't know it haha.

And the recipe I used:
Steep 1/2 lb aromatic and 3 oz. biscuit malt
6.6 lb of pilsen extract
2 lb. light candi sugar
1.5 oz Sterling at 60
.5 oz Sterling at 20
.5 oz Saaz at flameout
WLP500 Trappist Ale

Also, that's a Keystone Homebrew Supply recipe. Don't want to rip them off.

Jeff, Brewer, Troegs Brewing Company, Harrisburg, PA

"RDWHAHB, right?"
"No, just do it right, damnit!"

Last edited by SkinnyShamrock; 01-08-2009 at 12:05 AM.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:19 AM   #9
NewBrew75
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker36 View Post
So this is a recipe I made when I was still doing extract.

Steep 1lb3oz Flaked Rye; 13oz Flaked Oats

Boil 60 min (4gal)
3.3lbs Pale LME @ 60min
4oz Fuggles (4.7%) @ 60min
6oz EK Goldings (4.0%) @60min
1lb Clear Candi Sugar @15min
1lb Amber Candi Sugar @ 15min
6lb9oz Pale LME @ 60min
1tsp Irish moss @ 10min

You have two different Pale LME @ 60 mins in your recipe. Should the second addition be @ 15, or do all of the LME need to be added at 60 min?

Old 03-03-2011, 03:31 PM   #10
bignailer
Recipes 

looking for an all grain belgian tripel recipe to play with. Any helpful hints? This will be my first attempt for a tripel.

Quick Reply