Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Looking for an easy all-extract oatmeal stout recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2008, 09:36 PM   #1
7Enigma
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Looking for an easy all-extract oatmeal stout recipe

Hello everyone,

I'm a day or two away from racking my first brew (pale ale), and want to brew something I would actually like (I did the pale since its easy and relatively quick but I don't really care for it). I'm looking for an all-extract oatmeal stout recipe that is relatively easy to brew, and possibly won't break the bank in the process.

As for the type of oatmeal stout I don't really know. I have enjoyed several different types, one of my favorites is from John Harvard's Brew House. Unfortunately it's been so long I can't even remember exactly what the flavor is like. But any good Oatmeal stout should suffice.

Thanks in advance,

justin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2008, 09:57 PM   #2
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't know of any extracts with oatmeal in them. I don't think you can really make an oatmeal stout without doing all-grain, or at least partial mash.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:01 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

Williams Brewing used to carry a dark oatmeal extract, but not any more. Can't say I've seen it anywhere else.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-14-2008, 10:02 PM   #4
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Assuming you don't really mean "all extract", but extract with steeped specialty grains? You can't do an oatmeal stout without oats, and I don't know of anyone who makes an oat extract.

I have zero experience with any of them, but a couple of the major online HBS have extract+grains kits (others seem to offer PM or AG only):

Austin Homebrew Supply
Midwest

Old 04-14-2008, 10:21 PM   #5
BlindLemonLars
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Try something along these lines:

6.00 lb Dark LME
0.50 lb Oats, Flaked
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt
0.25 lb Roasted Barley
1.00 oz Fuggles (boil full 60 minutes)
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10 min)
1 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast

Steep the grains for 40 minutes or so, around 160 degrees.

I made this early last year, and it came out quite nice...decent mouthfeel, and lots of coffee overtones. I've still got a few bottles, and it just keeps getting smoother.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:58 PM   #6
Willy Boner
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Bader Beer and Wine Supplies has a bunch of extract and steeping grain recipes on their site. All that I've tried have been very good.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:21 AM   #7
Austinhomebrew
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 90

This is what our customers say about my recipe:

AHS Oatmeal Stout Ale

Comment on Wednesday 19 March, 2008
This is an excellent beer! Everyone that's tried it loves it. It's an excellent stout with a great oatmeal flavor. It was decent after three weeks, but after six it was outstanding!
Comment on Friday 01 February, 2008
My favorite homebrew to date! I brew mini-mash and this was the 2nd recipe I tried. It is very smooth, not bitter at all, definite roasted/coffee/chocolate tones...Love it! I made this late last summer/early fall. We are making it again this weekend.
Comment on Friday 11 January, 2008
I brewed the mini mash kit.I tried it at 2 weeks and 6 days and it tasted pretty good to me(my second batch) Im gonna wait till a couple months to try the rest.The head is awesome,nice mouthful and looks like a stout I would buy a pint of.
Comment on Wednesday 27 June, 2007
Definitely a crowd pleaser. As everyone else has said, let it sit for a couple of months in the bottle and you won't be disappointed. I would reorder this kit again.
Comment on Tuesday 03 April, 2007
You have to let this one age a good 4-5 weeks or longer if you can, it makes a world of difference. I tried one bottle at 3 weeks and thought I had done something wrong, and 5 weeks it was superb! I will buy this kit again, probably a double batch even.
Comment on Thursday 22 March, 2007
Outstanding beer, very accurate for the style too! I made this one on Christmas day and it turned out to be a whopping good beer. I used the alcohol boost and it put this thing up to nearly 9%!!!! Needless to say, I dont think you really need the booster... I didnt find a single person who didnt love this one, it disappeared so quickly that I had none left over to cellar! I'll be putting this one in my regular winter rotation.
Comment on Friday 22 September, 2006
After 18 months or so of home brewing, this is by far my favorite AHS beer. This brew turns out great everytime I make it. Great body, rich flavor, wonderful head....couldn't ask for anything more.
Comment on Sunday 18 June, 2006
At a week after bottling I was a bit unimpressed by this stout. Happily I just shelved it and didn't pick it back up for about another month. By then it was excellent and only got better the longer it rested. At about 2 1/2 to 3 months after bottling it was superb! I highly recommend that you brew this one around September or October so that it is ready by winter.
Comment on Thursday 15 June, 2006
Good head, malty oatmeal flavor. It is definately stout, too strong for my wife but I like.
Comment on
Great beer. Make sure to wait three weeks before consuming... It makes a world of difference.
Comment on
Outstanding recipe. My neighbors came over and drank the keg dry in one weekend. Nice head with a very smooth lite oatmeal finish. This will be the first repeat recipe that I will brew!!! If you are a fan of oatmeal stouts, give this recipe a try.

Forrest

Old 04-16-2008, 12:10 PM   #8
7Enigma
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks everyone for the replies. Somehow after the first reply I must have missed the email telling me there were more (I was getting depressed ). And yes, I didn't mean all-extract (whoops), I just meant no sparging and all that jazz from doing an all-grain. I have no problem with steeping grains and such.

EDIT: Wow, I gotta start ordering online. Even with the shipping its much cheaper than my LHBS. Could anyone comment on the yeast choices for this particular brew. I'm under the impression the flavor will be coming primarily from the grains/oatmeal/extract and so the yeast type doesn't matter much? The default selection is White Labs British Ale, and is much more expensive than the Danstar Windsor dry. If someone could go to this link and tell me what/if I don't need any of the default things I would be greatly appreciative (ie yeast boost fuel, yeast type).

Thanks again.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...roducts_id=312

EDIT #2: Oh man why did you show me this site, I'm now looking at the Double Chocolate Stout as well! Young's DCS is in my top 3 favorite beers (the other 2 being Sam Adam's Black Lager and Cream Stout).

Old 04-16-2008, 02:00 PM   #9
Chello
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Wyeast 1084 - Irish Ale

Produces a great oatmeal stout.

"Retail is for suckers."

Old 04-16-2008, 02:00 PM   #10
Austinhomebrew
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 90

With the Oatmeal Stout you could use dry or liquid yeast. Some kits are really dependent on the yeast flavor and this one is not.

The Yeast Fuel is a yeast nutrient that ensures a very healthy fermentation. It is not necessary but it really helps.

Forrest

Quick Reply