New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Looking to clone Not Your Father's Root Beer (Small Town Brewery)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #21
rgauthier20420
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs170 View Post
I understand not having time. I have been trying to get to it but life has gotten in the way. Yes I agree with you I wouldn't keg this brew due to flavor never leaving the keg and lines.
Uhhhh I love root beer and I love beer. If it's good, what's wrong with having this stuff on tap year round?!?!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #22
xxtzimiscexx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Did you ever end up making this? How did it come out?

Have you taken a look at this???

http://byo.com/soda-pop/item/1299-real-root-beer
Last night I did my first brew using this recipe however the only thing missing was the sweet gale. The OG was 1.044 and the color going into the fermenter "looked" like it was 25-30. At the moment the yeast has been in for roughly over 14 hours and its bubbling away. The recipe asks for lactose however doesn't say when to put it in. From what I read about adding lactose it is done during the priming/bottling stage and based on the portion would believe that to be true. What do you think?

My apologies if i used any incorrect terms. This is my first brew ever and I am just learning.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #23
njs170
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxtzimiscexx View Post
Last night I did my first brew using this recipe however the only thing missing was the sweet gale. The OG was 1.044 and the color going into the fermenter "looked" like it was 25-30. At the moment the yeast has been in for roughly over 14 hours and its bubbling away. The recipe asks for lactose however doesn't say when to put it in. From what I read about adding lactose it is done during the priming/bottling stage and based on the portion would believe that to be true. What do you think?

My apologies if i used any incorrect terms. This is my first brew ever and I am just learning.

I think adding it at the bottling stage is fine. Just boil like 8 oz of water and add it to that then add it to the beer. Same with the corn sugar to prime the bottles unless your kegging. Wow this is the recipe you went after as your first! Good for you! Looking forward to see how it turns out.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #24
ROLLTIDE
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The recipe posted above has a incredible grocery list. I have made a few batches of cider but nothing even close to that monster. I really want to do a hard root beer badly but I am not willing to buy 300 dollars worth of ingredients. I'm thinking of just adding an undetermined yeast to spring water, nutrient and probably brown sugar then at secondary adding lactose, vanilla and root beer extract. Seems simple enough.....thoughts?

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on. -Dean Martin-

Old 11-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #25
pentiumone133
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Just stumbled upon this thread. I emailed the brewer a couple months ago to try and weasel some insight out of him because I was just generally curious as to what went into this incredible beverage. Here is his response:

Will,

I can tell you we use all natural ingredients and never an extract…

That’s what makes it so good… J

Plus I get my Honey from Switzerland…

The Barley comes from the USA… As well as the hops…

I hope you enjoy all our beers…

Thanks Tim

Old 11-01-2013, 10:30 PM   #26
ROLLTIDE
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentiumone133 View Post
Just stumbled upon this thread. I emailed the brewer a couple months ago to try and weasel some insight out of him because I was just generally curious as to what went into this incredible beverage. Here is his response:

Will,

I can tell you we use all natural ingredients and never an extract…

That’s what makes it so good… J

Plus I get my Honey from Switzerland…

The Barley comes from the USA… As well as the hops…

I hope you enjoy all our beers…

Thanks Tim
Hmph, thanks for nuthin......

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on. -Dean Martin-

Old 11-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #27
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 199

I can tell you that they make an alcoholic beverage and mix it with a home made root beer, that will be all you get out of me, good luck with your attempts to clone it

It is a damn good drink!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 11-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #28
xxtzimiscexx
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
I can tell you that they make an alcoholic beverage and mix it with a home made root beer, that will be all you get out of me, good luck with your attempts to clone it

It is a damn good drink!
I would assume they do that in the secondary phase or at the kegging stage...? Maybe letting it sit in a fridge for a long period of time before its ready, would allow all the flavors to properly mix.

---The n00b

Old 11-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #29
xxtzimiscexx
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLTIDE View Post
The recipe posted above has a incredible grocery list. I have made a few batches of cider but nothing even close to that monster. I really want to do a hard root beer badly but I am not willing to buy 300 dollars worth of ingredients. I'm thinking of just adding an undetermined yeast to spring water, nutrient and probably brown sugar then at secondary adding lactose, vanilla and root beer extract. Seems simple enough.....thoughts?
My ex's dad owned a farm with about ten apple trees and with in the first year of me hanging out on the farm i found out he did nothing with the apples. His reply was "Oh they were here when we got here. The apples fall and the chickens eat them and some times the dogs." At that point I talked him into making apple wine and hard cider. That is my start into "home brewing" but this year is my first with beer.

The list was a bit pricey however it was under 100$ but if i had purchase sweet gal i would of been up there. The funny thing is i live in the Midwest so Wisconsin is not to far from my and the plan grows naturally.

After this batch I think I'm going to tone it down a bit and make this recipe a 1 gallon set up until i get it the way i want it. You do have the right mind set... too much $$$ for a home brewing in a testing phase. I do like your ideas and if you don't mind, may i borrow them.

---the n00b

Old 11-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #30
xxtzimiscexx
Recipes 

Quote:
I think adding it at the bottling stage is fine. Just boil like 8 oz of water and add it to that then add it to the beer. Same with the corn sugar to prime the bottles unless your kegging. Wow this is the recipe you went after as your first! Good for you! Looking forward to see how it turns out.
I just racked it to the secondary. It came out pretty dark and once i removed the lid from the fermenter, it smelled great. Since i had it open i pulled a gravity reading and snuck a taste.

Readings-
OG: 1.044
*secondary* 1.01
FG (two more weeks)

Taste:
You can taste all the natural roots and ingredients however it was really bitter. Almost like a tea with not enough water and no sugar added. Think i should be worried about sweetening it up?

Pics: http://imgur.com/v3TkgAT
http://imgur.com/0sxgZOn

Quick Reply