Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Looking to clone Not Your Father's Root Beer (Small Town Brewery)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2013, 04:46 AM   #11
dawgmatic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Definitely looks better. Not sure how sweet it'll be though. Looks a lot like my last attempt, but with less crystal. Then again, I've never had the root beer this thread was started over.
Just something to consider, if you do a mini mash you will get less residual sweetness from the crystal than if you just steep it. Its your decision how to make it though so just keep in mind that whatever you do it's towards a good cause. Just make sure you return with the results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
People's brains are interesting....and tasty too.

(See what I did tthere? ;))

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #12
christopherrburns
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I like this stuff it's really good.I had someone tell me that they think Small Town uses distillers yeast. I went to a brew fest and Small town was there. Was asking the guy that was pouring the beer what type of yeast they use and he told me they make their own. Clearly a distributor and not a brewer.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:10 PM   #13
njs170
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Did you ever end up making this? How did it come out?

Have you taken a look at this???

http://byo.com/soda-pop/item/1299-real-root-beer

Old 09-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #14
rgauthier20420
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I know this is kind of a dead thread, but I'm been thinking of giving this a try. After reading some of the posts, I've come to these conclusions (correct me if I'm wrong):

1. Mash low - I would think you'd want this to finish really dry because you will then be adding back sugar/flavoring for the root beer sweetness.

2. This beer doesn't even taste like beer, it tastes like Root beer the soda. I'd think the simplest grain bill possible would serve best for this recipe. All of the flavors would come from the Root Beer flavorings because that's what it's supposed to taste like and the alcohol would come from the grain. I'm thinking a 100% Pale Malt bill and that's it.

I'd want to go somewhere in the 7-8% range as a test because I'd be worried about possible issues with it not finishing dry enough and really just as a test for flavor.

Someone chime in if I'm way off base with these 2 notes. Thanks.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #15
antiteam
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs170 View Post
Did you ever end up making this? How did it come out?

Have you taken a look at this???

http://byo.com/soda-pop/item/1299-real-root-beer
Still haven't tried it. Shortly after my initial post, I ended up taking a new job and moving out of state, which significantly reduced the amount of brewing I've been able to do over the last 6 months. My wife and I were just talking about this recipe the other day, though, so we may try it out soon.

I did read a thread warning about Rood Beer syrup and how the flavor/smell is very difficult to get out of your keg and lines. That gives me a bit of pause, since I don't want everything to taste like root beer!

Old 09-24-2013, 09:13 PM   #16
antiteam
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgauthier20420 View Post
I know this is kind of a dead thread, but I'm been thinking of giving this a try. After reading some of the posts, I've come to these conclusions (correct me if I'm wrong):

1. Mash low - I would think you'd want this to finish really dry because you will then be adding back sugar/flavoring for the root beer sweetness.

2. This beer doesn't even taste like beer, it tastes like Root beer the soda. I'd think the simplest grain bill possible would serve best for this recipe. All of the flavors would come from the Root Beer flavorings because that's what it's supposed to taste like and the alcohol would come from the grain. I'm thinking a 100% Pale Malt bill and that's it.

I'd want to go somewhere in the 7-8% range as a test because I'd be worried about possible issues with it not finishing dry enough and really just as a test for flavor.

That's right in line with what I've been thinking about doing. Let us know how things go if you try it out.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:43 AM   #17
cwdrake
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgauthier20420 View Post

What about the color?

Old 09-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #18
njs170
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdrake View Post
What about the color?
The color should be pretty close if they are using the BYO recipe.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #19
njs170
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiteam View Post
Still haven't tried it. Shortly after my initial post, I ended up taking a new job and moving out of state, which significantly reduced the amount of brewing I've been able to do over the last 6 months. My wife and I were just talking about this recipe the other day, though, so we may try it out soon.

I did read a thread warning about Rood Beer syrup and how the flavor/smell is very difficult to get out of your keg and lines. That gives me a bit of pause, since I don't want everything to taste like root beer!
I understand not having time. I have been trying to get to it but life has gotten in the way. Yes I agree with you I wouldn't keg this brew due to flavor never leaving the keg and lines.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #20
rgauthier20420
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdrake View Post
What about the color?
In my recipe/perspective, the color is coming from the Root Beer syrup alone. Again, if I want this to taste like Root Beer but have alcohol in it, why worry about getting anything but the alcohol part from the grain and yeast? That deep brown color should be easily obtained from the syrup if you've got a nice clear color to start with from the beginning.

Quick Reply