Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Looking for a charred barn

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 02:31 AM   #1
Hampton_Lee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Looking for a charred barn

After drinking a few smokey, heavy roasted beers from Natty Greene's Brewing Company, specifically their "Cannonball Double IPA" and their "Black Powder Imperial Stout"...I am wanting to replicate that taste at home.

Does anyone have any suggestions what malts or other ingredients it takes to get a heavily smokey, hugely roasted beer?

Another example is Duck Rabbit's "Hoppy Bunny"...

I say charred barn because, with every sip of these beers, you get a sense you are walking through a charred barn in the Appalachian mountains, with air filled with fresh chimney smoke from 19th century log cabins, while, in the distance you hear the faint whistle of a steam locomotive chugging its way up the Blue Ridge mountains.

...I may have gotten carried away there, but hopefully you get the idea.

Thanks for the help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 02:42 AM   #2
Grantman1
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I'd say for starters, smoked malt. I've never used it personally though because I don't care for it much, at least in the brews I've had.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton_Lee View Post
I say charred barn because, with every sip of these beers, you get a sense you are walking through a charred barn in the Appalachian mountains, with air filled with fresh chimney smoke from 19th century log cabins, while, in the distance you hear the faint whistle of a steam locomotive chugging its way up the Blue Ridge mountains.
That's a pretty colorful description. Perhaps you have a future in writing those blurbs that no on bottle labels.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:48 AM   #4
SVB
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Got a smoker? I usually throw a batch of 10 lbs of grain in with my steelhead to cold smoke for about 24 hours in the winter and use that to make a porter. Its fantastic to me, but depending on the wood used it can come off like smoked sausages or bacon to many guests.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:54 AM   #5
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton_Lee View Post
You have spent WAY TOO MUCH TIME at BeerAdvocate. Stop it.

Quick Reply