Looking for ale recipes that feature 6-row as a base malt.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am out of standard 2-row and pale malt. My local club won't be doing a grain order soon and I really want to brew something with the grain I have on hand. I have 25 lbs of 6-row and about 10 lbs of Vienna malt. Can anyone suggest an ale recipe that would be good to brew with 6-row as the base malt? I am thinking of something along a lawn mower style beer might feature 6 row but I would love to hear your ideas.

It's pretty interchangeable - most of the time if you use 6row it's because you need the additional diastatic power for a high level of adjunct.

2 row may produce a slight bit more extract - like 1% than 6 row.

In reality, don't think you would really notice a difference between the 2...

Maybe make a cream ale or a big wheat, take advantage of the additional enzymes...

Something along the lines of a cream ale: 5lb six-row, 3lb Vienna, 2lb flaked maize. If you have regular 2-row, something along the lines of 6.5lb two-row, 2lb six-row, 2lb flaked maize would be along the lines of an old British pale ale (providing you give it a good hopping).

As mentioned you can pretty much sub 1:1 FWIW, when I brewed at Bell's (then still called Kalamazoo Brewing Co.) late 80s/early 90s, we used 6 row as the base for all the beers

Something along the lines of a cream ale: 5lb six-row, 3lb Vienna, 2lb flaked maize. If you have regular 2-row, something along the lines of 6.5lb two-row, 2lb six-row, 2lb flaked maize would be along the lines of an old British pale ale (providing you give it a good hopping).

Here is what I have so far...but I need a good idea for the aroma hop type still.

Six Row Special
6 lbs 6-row
2 lbs Vienna
2 lbs flaked corn
1 lb flaked rice
4 oz carapils
0.5 oz Magnum 60 min (20 IBUs)
???? Aroma hop???

Thinking of liberty, crystal, mt. hood, hallertau, sterling

Frozen sweet corn???? Do you make a cereal mash out of it?

Nope, I basically let it thaw to room temperature, so I don't mess up my temps, and toss it in the mash with everything else.* Figured at a potential of 1.020, the calculated gravities end up working out fairly well.

I never did get a chance to try it with fresh sweet corn last year, though I figured out that I'd get about 4 ears per pound. I'd probably toss the cobs in the mash, too, to add a little roughage and get as much sweet corn goodness as possible.

* "Everything else" includes 2:1 ratio, by weight, of 6-row to sweet corn, along with a healthy dose of CaraPils, and a touch of smoked malt and honey malt. Bittered with 10-15IBU of your choice, finished with some Crystal hops (or something else noble-ish), and fermented with White Labs's Cream Ale Blend, it made a fine lawnmower beer.

Hops I like for the olde pale lawnmower beer are things like Mt Hood, Liberty, EKG, Saaz, Willamette. I use a blend of Liberty and EKG quite a lot and I like it. Spicy, floral, with some fruit but nowhere as much as C hops. Mt Hood and Liberty would be all dandy too. Crystal or Delta worth trying. Cluster or Cascade blended with any of the mentioned, why not.

Back