Looking for advice on dry hopping.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turvis

Reaction score
My ipa recipe so far has 0.75 oz of centennial at 30 min 0.75 citra at 20 0.50 oz of both at 10 min and 0.75 of both at flame out. I have an oz of each left over but want to add some floral notes with dry hopping. Still planning on using the left over hops as well what would be a good hop to add at dry hop. The ibu's are at 70 if that helps. Thanks in advance for your input.

According to this its,Centennial Characteristics : Pungent, Floral, Citrus

Centennial Hops
Characteristics

Centennial (once called CFJ90) is fast becoming one of the defining hops of the American Ale (APA & IPA) style. One of the "C" hops, along with Cascade, Chinook, and Columbus. Centennial imparts a pungent, citrus-like flavor and aroma. This particular "C" hop, however, is good when you are not looking to impart quite the floral aromas that you might find in Cascade.
Bitterness is between 9 to 12% AAU, making this a good dual purpose hop variety for either bittering or flavor/aroma additions.

If you're a fan of beers like Stone IPA or Bell's Two Hearted IPA - this is the hop for you my friend.
Specifications

Typical Use : Bitterness/Flavor/Aroma
Alpha Acid : 9 to 12% AAU
Origination : USA
Characteristics : Pungent, Floral, Citrus
Styles : American Pale Ale, American IPA
Similar Hops : Cascade, Chinook, Columbus

Citra Hops
Characteristics

Citra is a new moderately-high acid (10-12%) US hop variety releaset sometime in 2008. Citra is a cross between several hop varieties including Hallertau Mittelfreuh, U.s. Tettnanger, E.K. Goldings, and other unknown varieties.

The aroma is reported to be very fruity (citrus fruits especially.) Descriptors I have seen used include: grapefruit, lime, melon, gooseberry, lychee fruit.

I haven't been able to purchase Citra yet, so I do not have a recipe or any personal experience. I first found out about the Citra hop when reading about the Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA. If you get your hands on this hop and get to brew with it, please let me know how it turns out.
Specifications

Typical Use : Multi Purposse Alpha Acid : 10 to 12% AAU
Origination : USA
Characteristics : Citrusy
Styles : I've only heard of this in IPA
Similar Hops : Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA

Centennial is "super Cascade" with more fruity citrus than floral citrus. For floral citrus, you really want to go with Amarillo or Cascade, especially in the dryhop.

Citra is not citrusy; it's tropical. Melon, Mango, and Lychee fruit are the best descriptors.

Here is the approx. rate I dryhop at:

Regular IPA - about 0.50 oz. dryhops per gallon beer (about 5.5-6.9% abv)
Extra IPA - about 0.62 oz. dryhops per gallon beer (about 7.0-7.5% abv)
Double IPA - about 0.75 oz. dryhops per gallon beer (about 7.5-8.9% abv)
Imperial IPA - about 1.00 oz. dryhops per gallon beer (9% abv +)

Back