The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Lookin' to get a close recipe to Red Oak

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2006, 04:26 PM   #1
slushy1975
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lookin' to get a close recipe to Red Oak

A few of you North Carolina guys might can help this one....

I love Red Oak and that style that it represents (or closely represents)....does anyone have a recipe that will put me in the ballpark in terms of flavor and style?

Would it be completely mashed with Munich & Vienna Malts or would base malt be added? I've tried my own take on getting the Red Oak flavor (if not a clone), but missed on the bittering hops, thus overdoing it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2008, 01:33 AM   #2
ballegre
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slushy1975 View Post
A few of you North Carolina guys might can help this one....

I love Red Oak and that style that it represents (or closely represents)....does anyone have a recipe that will put me in the ballpark in terms of flavor and style?

Would it be completely mashed with Munich & Vienna Malts or would base malt be added? I've tried my own take on getting the Red Oak flavor (if not a clone), but missed on the bittering hops, thus overdoing it.
Bump. I'm looking for this too. Been over 2 years. Thought I'd give it a try.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
vcm1613
Recipes 

Old thread from the grave!!

I'm piecing together the puzzle myself on cloning Red Oak. Heres what I've gathered so far....

Type is a Amber Munich Urtyp (Old Style) Lager
Ingredients are; Munich Malt, Spart Noble Hops, Four to six weeks of lagering at 30–32 ºF (~0 ºC).
From reading more about them they adhere to a strict purity code from Bavarian law so certain types of clearing agents are not used. No idea what the yeast strain.

Obviously this is not a recipe, but maybe between others on the board we can come up with something close. They are a 12,000+ barrel a year brewery so they have bound to have hit the tastebuds of folks beyond just the carolinas! Great beer!

Old 04-29-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
Nightbiker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I got to thinking about this brewery, and really liked their brews but you can't get them if you don't live close to them, certainly not in Florida.
Has anyone managed to cobble a recipe together for their Battlefield Bock or their Amber lager? The flavor profile of the Battlefield seems pretty basic, and I'll probably work on that in a couple of months, but would certainly appreciate a recipe if anyone has already gone this route (if not to completion, it would at least give me a good base to build upon).

GOT BEER?
FERMENTING:
LAGERING/CONDITIONING:Simply Sweet Mead
Kegged: Big Bad Brown Ale (Brown Ale and Porter blend).
Bottled:

Plans: Oak-Smoked Porter, Honey Brown Ale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
we do it for the love of beer! Not for the love of money! We can all make great BEER! Not so much when it comes to money!

Old 04-29-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
yellowthere
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightbiker View Post
I got to thinking about this brewery, and really liked their brews but you can't get them if you don't live close to them, certainly not in Florida.
That's funny I live 1/2 hour from them and I don't give them a second thought. I really don't care for their stuff. They seem rather bland, and expensive at $18 for a 12 pack. The brewery looks nice from I-40 though.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
swarfrat
Recipes 

I'm not really a beer fan (joined while trying to make cider), but Red Oak is about the only beer I've ever tried that I really liked. I'm just a stones throw away now, and even a couple towns over it's hard to find.

I've been told Natty Greene's Buckshot might be similar, but that's a similar problem (distribution). Red Oak fans - how would you describe it - when I go into a restaurant far from home that only carries nationwide brands - what am I looking for?

Old 12-30-2011, 08:24 PM   #7
teucer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowthere View Post
That's funny I live 1/2 hour from them and I don't give them a second thought. I really don't care for their stuff. They seem rather bland, and expensive at $18 for a 12 pack. The brewery looks nice from I-40 though.
Yeah, that's my take on it. They're not bad, but there's plenty of better local beer available these days.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:39 PM   #8
HokieBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Red Oak is a fantastic session beer. I could wash a few down easy.

Buckshot is somewhat similar, in that they're both ambers, but I wouldn't call them identical. One, Red Oak is a lager and Buckshot is an ale. I run the risk of getting flamed for this, but have you tried Fat Tire by New Belgium? It won't be identical either, but it's a good gateway beer into craft brews...

Now here's a little something that you might not like. My DJ's name is Mix Master Mike.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:04 AM   #9
swarfrat
Recipes 

Thanks for the suggestion - tried it and liked it. Perhaps even better than Red Oak, but it's been a while since i had one.

Quick Reply