Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Clone - All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer_doc

Reaction score
So I had been planning this clone for a while and when I was doing research, no one had quite come up with a clone for this (I heard things through the grapevine that there might be a clone that surfaced recently, but I'm posting mine anyway). The brewery was fairly tight lipped and I've seen recipes ranging from the simple to ones with 4+ hop varieties and 7 or 8 additions.

While not a 100% replica this clone tastes pretty damn close and if you like Little Sumpin' you will love this!

I was talking to a Languanitas rep a little while ago and they said the beer was 50% wheat, a little crystal and 2 row for the rest. When it came to hops, think the 3 "C" which, if I remember correctly were Chinook, Centennial, and Cascade (if I'm wrong on that, please correct me, but that's what I used and it turned out fine!).

Without further ado:

Never changed the beer smith file, but I dry hopped with 2 oz (not 1 oz) of whole leaf cascade hops (all other additions were pellets). Also note that I use an Electric HERMS setup so I didnt add any water to get up to 168 for the mash out.

View attachment Little_Sumpin_Clone.bsmx(Beer Smith)

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Little Sump Sumpin Clone
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.96 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.76 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.069 SG
Estimated Color: 7.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 61.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 73.7 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 1 50.0 %
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 43.8 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.3 %
1.00 oz Chinook [13.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 38.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [9.90 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 21.0 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
1.00 oz Cascade [3.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 1.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast 9 -
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 16 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 20.00 qt of water at 159.1 F 148.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 4.88 gal water at 168.0 F
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the beer with the whole leaf cascade in it.
Photo Mar 31, 11 01 57 AM.jpg

Sorry if the recipe is in a weird order, I copied it from beersmith and I noticed it came out a little weird....I used California Ale yeast by White Labs. I had saved some from a starter from a previous batch of another beer and made a 2L starter to make sure I'd get enough pitchable yeast.

I had it in the primary for a week at around 70- (I started colder, but realized California yeast doesnt prefer to be much below 70). Secondary for 2 weeks with 2 oz whole leaf cascade at around 68.

Kegged and Carbed.

The beer came out AMAZING. I'm loving it. Pictures to come later tonight.

The nose is floral from the fresh cascade hops. The flavor has a little sweetness to it. You cannot tell in the least that it's a 7.5% beer :drunk:

Because I don't have a filter system yet, the clone is definitely cloudier than its commercial counterpart. In fact you can hardly tell that the comercial beer is a wheat beer because it lacks all haze (granted the California Ale yeast floculates better than Hefe yeasts). Filtration would really help with clarity after dry hopping.

FYI, "Can you brew it" did a show on this and cloned it. You can listen to the podcast here: http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Jamil-Show/Page-5

I don't remember how it compares to your recipe.

So they did this back in Feb I guess, and when I was planning this recipe 3 months ago or so I couldnt find much. I went to go post my recipe today and stumbled upon this and said 'crap, im too late!' Didn't get a chance to listen to this yet, but I figured I'd post my recipe too.

I was under the impression Jeremy Marshall was happy to share this recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-recipe-lagunitas-little-sumpin-sumpin-218399/

I saw this recipe and I thought it might be a little complex. When I spoke to some people that worked for the brewery they had made it seem like there werent as many varieties of hops, but that could have just been to throw me off the trail.

In any case, using the 3 hop varieties only might save a few bucks? Since I had the yeast already this cost me less than $40 for a 5 gallon batch for a beer that runs me between $11-14/6-pack here in the east coast.

If any would like to make it and give me some tips (or if your in the wetchester or NYC area and want to give me a critique let me know!)

I'm telling you though, the nose, the bite, the sweetness, and, when you've had a few of them, the buzz is all there!

I've brewed the CYBI recipe and it came as close as I'm going to get on my equipment. It costs a fortune though if you don't keep an entire refrigerator of hops on hand.

I've brewed the CYBI recipe and it came as close as I'm going to get on my equipment. It costs a fortune though if you don't keep an entire refrigerator of hops on hand.

Yea, I'm sure the combo of hop flavors might get a little closer, but for anyone intimidated by the number of varieties I'd urge you to give my recipe a shot. It's in denominations of hops that people usually buy, and it's only three varieties. Just IMHO

Here's a shot of the commercial (left) vs the clone (right)...I went a little dark with the crystal. I think I wanted 40L but my LHBS had some 40-60L that came out a little darker than I planned. Next time I might tweak that to get some lighter color but the flavor is pretty there...

Photo Apr 15, 8 44 20 PM.jpg

Not too much head right now, but I think it's slightly under carbed...nothing a quick twist of the dial in the kegerator can't fix.

As I said before, the commercial beer is pretty clear...not haze from dry hopping there. Maybe one day I'll invest in a filter set up, but I don't mind the clarity right now...maybe if I start competing I would

Beer doc. I'm in putnam county. Were r u at?

I'm near White Plains right now. I get up north as far as Croton-on-Hudson to The Green Growler sometimes for brew supplies, but I started going down to Eastchester since they changed their setup.

Back