The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Liquid Yeast Past Its "Best by" Date

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2008, 04:24 PM   #1
Donasay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Liquid Yeast Past Its "Best by" Date

Back in March I purchased a couple vials of “Cry Havoc” yeast and brewed one batch with one of the vials and planned another special brew for the other one, but it never happened and I subsequently forgot about the other vial. I found this old vial of cry havoc yeast in the back of my fridge and it says best if used by April 08.

I figured what the heck some of them must still be alive in there and made a 1/2 gallon starter last night. I know because the majority of the yeast is not viable I might have to step this up a couple of times before brewing, but I want to brew with this yeast this weekend. How would I go about figuring out 1) approximately how many cells were still alive in the vial 2) How many steps will I need to get this thing to ptichable level and 3)whether or not I will have enough time to get the starter to an appropriate pitch rate before Saturday Morning?

Any advice on this schedule would be appreciated.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
Drunkensatyr

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

I doubt you will need to step it up at all. I have used yeast 3-6 months past its prime quite a few times (half price at my lhbs) and never had a problem with them. Your starter should have plenty of time.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:32 PM   #3
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

You probably know about this:
http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html
But it will probably tell you you need a 55 gallon drum of yeast slurry.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 07-30-2008, 04:32 PM   #4
farmbrewernw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd say if you get activity in your starter you should be good to go.

I'm working as a pro now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still homebrewing. I'm going to see if I can homebrew at work as a way to develop new recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi
wow, tha more I drink, tha more cohernet you all are!
and stufffff.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:38 PM   #5
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I did the same thing - bought Cry Havoc in january, it said best by April, and I didn't get around to making a starter till 2 weeks ago.

It'll be fine, as long as you've kept it in the fridge, it should take off like a rocket. +1 to making a starter, but I wouldn't worry about making it huge. I'd do about 1200-1400mL in a 2L flask or 1/2 gallon growler. Should give it PLENTY of Oomph to take off with.

I've got my Cry Havoc in a batch of Apfelwein right now, in fact. It took off faster than the Lalvin EC-1118 did.

As far as steps, I would make a ~500mL starter first and let it ferment out. That takes us from today (Wed, noonish) to lets say Friday AM. Boil up your next round of starter wort on Thursday PM, make about 900mL worth... let it cool over night, pitch it Friday AM. It'll ferment throughout the day Fri and through the evening. I'll bet the krausen finishes dropping either Friday night or Saturday morning as you're getting ready to brew. Should be JUST fine.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 07-30-2008, 04:39 PM   #6
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
You probably know about this:
http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html
But it will probably tell you you need a 55 gallon drum of yeast slurry.
Yes, but I don't know when the yeast was manufactured, just when it is "Best by". If i figure it was maufacutred on the first of March, to be used before the end of april only 10% of it is viable. The computer calculates I will need 3.55 liters of starter and 9 vials to get the starter going... So in short I find the calculations a little dubious, I was hoping some people would have some insight.

In short not good news for me I guess.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 07-30-2008, 05:35 PM   #7
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donasay View Post
Yes, but I don't know when the yeast was manufactured, just when it is "Best by". If i figure it was maufacutred on the first of March, to be used before the end of april only 10% of it is viable. The computer calculates I will need 3.55 liters of starter and 9 vials to get the starter going... So in short I find the calculations a little dubious, I was hoping some people would have some insight.

In short not good news for me I guess.
Cry Havoc is White Labs, right? If so, White Labs yeasts are manufactured 4 months prior to their expiration date. Now the calculator will tell you you need 347 vials! I agree that the calculator doesn't seem practical for yeasts over a month old.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 07-30-2008, 07:19 PM   #8
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

I bought some Wyeast Scottish Ale Yeast for my recent batch from LHBS that was manufactured in Nov 07. I made a starter which took 2 days to start. I pitched it just before it started to floccouate. Its chugging away quite nicely now.

I'm glad it ended up working, but I'll be checking the dates on all yeast I buy from now on!

Quick Reply