Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Liquid Novacaine 296 IBU IIPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2011, 12:34 AM   #21
Stratotankard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

This beer has now been in bottles for a couple months and is really starting to come into its own.
It pours with a dense creamy white head over a slightly cloudy gold with copper highlights. It does clear a bit as it warms, but I still wish the clarity were better.
The aroma is strongly hoppy with earthy and floral notes. A backing of caramel and maybe dried apricots or pears? Some bready notes come out as the beer warms.
It is intensely bitter, but not harsh. Hop character is earthy with some spice. There is a good deal of malty caramel sweetness that balances the bitterness nicely. Some fruity notes try to show, but get beat down by the hops. The finish is long and dry with that hoppy goodness that lingers for ages.
Mouth feel is Medium-Light. The malt sweetness makes it seem a bit heavier than anticipated. Well carbonated, but with more of a prickly carbonation than foamy if that makes any sense. The finish is somewhat dry, which I think helps balance this beer out.
Overall, I feel this is one of the best beers I've brewed. All the elements in it are strong in their own right and could have been overpowering in other beers, but they come out strangely well balanced. Not insanely bitter and harsh, not overly sweet and cloying. I've set aside several bottles for aging and a few more for the State Fair competition.

It's a real shame that I'll probably never be able to recreate this beast, but at least I get to enjoy it while it lasts.

---------------------------------------------
Primary: Burned Mead
Secondary: Bourbon Barrel Porter
Bottled: More Bourbon Barrel Porter, New Pekin Common, Flat Tail Old Ale, Bad Monkey Banana Wine, Flanders Red, Pumpkin Ale
Drinking: Too Much
On deck: Something crazy to use up the 3+ pounds of hops sitting in my freezer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2011, 12:45 AM   #22
Vance71975
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratotankard View Post
I've got a problem. I'm moving in June and have about 3.5# of pellet hops sitting in my freezer. They are about 2 years old but have been sealed and kept in the freezer the whole time. I can't ship full bottles or fermenters and don't have room in my car for a bunch of beer. I figure I've got enough time to brew and drink one (maybe two) batches before I drive cross country. So I came up with this hop stupid brew. Comments are welcome.

5 Gallon
OG 1.088
FG 1.022 (hoping for lower)
ABV 8.5%
SRM 12
IBU 296
------------------
13# Marris Otter
1# Crystal 40
2# Belgian Candi (clear)

2oz Magnum (14.1% AA)
12oz Willamette (4.1% AA)
8oz EK Golding (5.1% AA)
5oz Fuggles (4.5% AA)

The plan is to mix all the hops together and add a few pellets every 5 minutes for a 120 minute boil. I threw this in Qbrew and came up with 296 IBUs. I was shooting for 300, but I figure this should still put your tongue to sleep. Thoughts?
I would mix them all add like 1 oz at the start of the boil, and the rest from 30 mins down.

The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #23
Stratotankard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

So, I was pretty happy with this beer and decided to enter it in the state fair competition.

I must say, I was surprised by the comments I got. Chief among them was a lack of hop flavour and too sweet. Also that it was not bitter enough or big enough to be an imperial IPA.
I know I'm not the worlds biggest hop head, but I'm not sure what I could do to add more hoppiness to this beer. The only thing I can think is the slightly sweet finish is masking the bitterness.

Strato

---------------------------------------------
Primary: Burned Mead
Secondary: Bourbon Barrel Porter
Bottled: More Bourbon Barrel Porter, New Pekin Common, Flat Tail Old Ale, Bad Monkey Banana Wine, Flanders Red, Pumpkin Ale
Drinking: Too Much
On deck: Something crazy to use up the 3+ pounds of hops sitting in my freezer

Old 11-06-2011, 06:29 PM   #24
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 29

The hop aroma/flavor fades rapidly, so what was good early faded and left you with the underlying sweetness. That's my guess.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:50 PM   #25
Stephonovich
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I made a similar beer a bit ago; AHS Hop Bomb (with the Greenbelt strain you spoke of). Thread here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/firs...-tweaks-265646

I too read about the 100 IBU limit, but having sampled many an IPA at or around that mark, I can tell you there's a difference. Much of it may be the large amount of dry hopping mine had, giving tons of aroma (which, of course, is inextricably linked to taste) - but it's still awesome.

They are rather expensive to make, but well worth it in my mind. I applaud your efforts, good sir!

Quick Reply