Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > liquid fruit flavors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
Byrdbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default liquid fruit flavors

I just recently picked up some fruit flavorings (liquid) from a local brew shop, and I plan on experimenting with all of them, so I don’t want to just dump ¼ of the bottle in the bottling bucket like you normally would. Has anyone used an eye dropper to flavor bottles individually? I’m bottling in 22 oz bottles. I know it’s a matter of taste, but I’m interested to hear if anyone else has done this and how many drops you used per bottle.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemmingway

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2010, 06:38 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I can't really help you on how much to use, but I would suggest avoiding them all together. The only two flavorings that even slightly resemble that fruit are raspberry and peach. Cherry tastes like cough syrup. I highly doubt you'll be happy with the end results, but please post if it turns out good. I always like to hear if people have good experiences with them.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 03-22-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
Byrdbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

hmm thats dissapointing to hear. Well I bottled 12 22 oz bottles of sorghum beer last night, with blackberry flavoring, maybe I'll just wait and see how they come out. I did add about 6 drops to a 12 oz bottle and drank it flat, and it wasnt bad, but I'm wondering if that is because sorghum beer has such a citrucy bite, that it balanced it out. I'll post back in 2-3 weeks and let you know.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemmingway

Old 03-22-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I used blackberry flavoring in a BB weizenbier kit. I added it to primary. It tasted fine in the bottle; had a pleasing flavor and aroma. IT sure as heck is a lot cheaper than the canned fruit sold at the HBS! Give it a whirl! N_G

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:04 PM   #5
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Very true, it's much cheaper. I've never had the blackberry, but maybe the darker fruits may work a bit better. I've tried the apple, cherry, raspberry, peach, and a few others. Raspberry and peach weren't bad, but I wouldn't use them again unless cherries were rediculously priced.

Another HERMS rig...

Tags
bottleing with fruit, flavoring beer, fruit flavoring

Quick Reply