Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > "Liquid Bread" Malt Suggestions.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
benko
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default "Liquid Bread" Malt Suggestions.

I'm trying to brew something that really embodies the term liquid bread. I'm looking for a really bready, toasty, grainy beer. Something along the lines of an Oktoberfest, but even breadier than that. Just like the term suggests, basically a warm loaf of fresh bread in a glass. I'm looking for malt suggestions. I'm thinking a combination of lighter specialty malts added to some good malty base malts. Here's what I'm thinking so far:

Base Malts: A 50/50 combination of Marris Otter and Vienna, and maybe a pound of Munich
Specialty: Biscuit, Aromatic, Caravienne

Any other good malt suggestions? As far as yeast goes, I like Wyeast 1272 American Ale II for its mostly clean and slighty nutty profile.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 13 Posts

I would think about using .5-.75# combo of flaked wheat/oats/rye to this, I think it'll add a nice thick head and get some of those unmalted beady grainy notes that are in bread.

Also, I've never used it, but I hear that 6-row is very grainy flavored.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 02-07-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
Bendbiker
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm guessing this would be more subtly bready than you are looking for but this recipe had a good hop backbone that stood up to his bready/maltiness. I made it once and it was good. You could try playing with it for ideas or whatever you wants...

http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=20726

Quick Reply