New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Lindemans Framboise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
Brett3rThanU
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Lindemans Framboise

Has anyone attempted to clone Lindemans Framboise? I know it's not a true lambic since they sweeten the drink, so it should be easier to make right? I'm not really a fan of the stuff, but my fiance absolutely loves the stuff and I'd earn some major brewing points with her if I made a batch. I'd want to do an all-grain recipe, but honestly don't even know where to begin. Any help is much appreciated guys.

I should also add I've done a fruit beer before, but I don't know how different this would be. My strawberry blonde pretty much lost all the sweetness due to fermentation, which is certainly not how the Framboise tastes.

Last edited by Brett3rThanU; 02-12-2009 at 04:11 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #2
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Lindemans is still Lambic. It's just fruited lambic. You still need to sour your beer prior to fruiting...so if you can put up with a 12 to 18 month fermentation time....

this seems to beer a descent extract recipe: Munk's Breath Lambic Framboise Recipe - Aaron Packard (google)

Old 02-13-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

I agree. It would be hard to replicate Lindeman's. Even though they backsweeten the living crap out of it, its still made in true lambic fashion.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:22 PM   #4
Shawn Hargreaves
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Authentic production technique:

First you make two or three different lambics, one per year so they will be aged different amounts. Then you add a ton of raspberries to one of the beers and wait for them to ferment out. Finally, you blend beer from the various batches (getting sourness from the older ones and fermentable sugars to ensure bottle carbonation from the younger) and add a bunch of non fermentable artificial sweetner to make sure it will still be sweet even after bottle conditioning.

Not an easy process!

If you don't have two to three years to put into this, you could try making a regular wheat beer, doing a secondary fermentation with raspberries, then adding both lactic acid and artificial sweetener at bottling time. It wouldn't taste the same (nowhere near as much complexity) but would at least tickle the same "fruity, sweet + sour at the same time" buds.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
LayMeister
Recipes 

The best article I've seen on Lambics was in Scientific American in August 1996. Well worth reading if you are interested.

Personally, I don't find Lindemans Framboise overly sweet. I've sampled a number of others on tap in Belgium and find this bottled version quite good.

Cheers,
Paul

Old 05-25-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
trig
Recipes 

Here is another recipe if you're interested, dunno how it stacks up to the other one but just FYI.

http://www.byo.com/stories/recipes/recipeindex/article/recipes/93-belgian-lambic-and-sour-ale/1781-lindemans-lambic

Old 03-14-2013, 11:59 PM   #7
beerbeerbeer123
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

How bout fermenting and aging for 12-24 months.. then add camden tablet and juice concentrate to reach desired sweetness..force carb and bottle with a counter pressure filler? Im sure this would work

Quick Reply