Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Light LME vs. "Pilsner" LME

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2006, 09:59 PM   #1
BrewmanBeing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Light LME vs. "Pilsner" LME

On the morebeer.com website they have the following 2 kinds of LME:

German Pils Extract - "this light blond extract is 100% made from Durst brand German Pilsner malt."

Ultralight Extract - "by Alexanders this extract is 100% made from Great Western 2-row malt. It is the lightest malt extract available. This is the malt extract that we use as a base for most of our ingredient kits, from Pilsner to Imperial Stout."
What is the difference between these 2 LMEs? Why would they use the ultralight in a pilsner recipe if the pils LME is supposedly meant for that?

I want to brew a Pilsner and am wondering whether to just use the LME I got from my LHBS or to order some of this special "pils" LME.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2006, 11:39 PM   #2
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Pilsner extract is made from Pilsner malt, while extralight extract I suspect is made from regular 2-row. There's a difference in the character of the two, but if I was going to brew a Pils and had extra light extract on hand I'd probably just go with it. If you really want to be technically correct to style, order the Pilsner extract.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply