Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Light Beer recipe or kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2009, 03:15 AM   #1
Aaronh2500
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Light Beer recipe or kit

All,

I enjoy making and drinking darkers beers. But does anyone have any suggestions or recipes for a light domestic tasting brew? I would like to make something that most of my friends and family would enjoy as well. They just can't handle some of the "heavier" beers that I make.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2009, 03:20 AM   #2
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you can make All Grain I have a pretty good light recipe in my drop down - I make it every 5-6 weeks.

If you make extract batches, Muntun's American Style Light beer can-kit made with Rice Syrup comes out about like a Milwaukees Best Light. Its pretty decent.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:23 AM   #3
Aaronh2500
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated1 View Post
If you can make All Grain I have a pretty good light recipe in my drop down - I make it every 5-6 weeks.

If you make extract batches, Muntun's American Style Light beer can-kit made with Rice Syrup comes out about like a Milwaukees Best Light. Its pretty decent.
I have not tried an all-grain batch yet, but i would not be against it. Is the Munton's pre-hopped?

Old 03-17-2009, 03:29 AM   #4
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

oh this is the kit I was talking about:

Austin Homebrew Supply

I made it once with 1# of rice syrup and 1# Light DME and it was pretty good. My brother and law and I drank most of it over a weekend. I've made it a couple times since then, but I just use 1# rice syrup and the 5oz of priming sugar in the primary because I don't need it for priming - I keg it. That comes to what 1 and 1/3 #s extra sugar ?? Anyway - thats plenty for this kit, its supposed to be a light beer anyway. I think its much better that way - don't add 2#s that seems like too much if youre going for light.

oh and yes, it is pre-hopped. But its hopped like a light beer, I suppose about 10 IBUs ?? something like that - its not hopped to the point of it tasting hoppy. Think Natural Light, Busch Light, etc...

Old 03-17-2009, 04:08 AM   #5
Wallygator
Recipes 

Everybody seems to like this :http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/cent...10-gall-42841/
theres an extract version down a few posts.

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior fire power."

Old 03-17-2009, 02:48 PM   #6
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Also, I wouldn't confuse a dark beer as not being a light beer. Look at Guiness weighing at like 4.2% and 125 calories.

The whole myth of the color portraying how potent the beer is just doesn't work but a lot of people seem to use it.

Reason: can't spell

Old 03-17-2009, 02:59 PM   #7
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

Here is a really light, really easy one:

4.00lbs Extra Light DME
1.00lbs Rice Syrup Solids
1.50lbs Corn Sugar

0.75oz Cluster 6.9% @ 60m
0.50oz Saaz @ 5m

For an ale, use US-05 or Nottingham yeast, and ferment around 60*F, not much higher.

I have made a very light lager using this recipe and S-23.

ABV will be about 5.2%.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:13 PM   #8
mmb
FNG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3166 Times on 3071 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
Also, I wouldn't confuse a dark beer as not being a light beer. Luke at Guiness weighing at like 4.2% and 125 calories.

The whole myth of the color portraying how potent the beer is just doesn't work but a lot of people seem to use it.
+1 I always laugh when someone tries my cream ale with Carafa Special III in it for a nice black color. Comes across as something between Bud and Gennie, but black.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:59 AM   #9
mcessna
Recipes 

Any chance I can get the recipe for your black light beer? I've been very intrigued by making a dark beer that is deceptively light.

Quick Reply