Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Licorice root, Sassafras, Birch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #1
JamesClark
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Licorice root, Sassafras, Birch

I have about 3 oz each of licorice root, sassafras root bark, and birch bark. I made a quick tea of each to see what they'd taste and smell like, and I'm thinking of coming up with a recipe using one or both.

The tea was made with roughly 1/32 oz of the herb and 2 oz of recently-boiling water, for 5 minutes. The birch had a light color, a moderate minty aroma, and a light, slightly sweet, "tingly" flavor. The sassafras was pink-ish with a strong anise-y aroma with a little citrus to it, and a light, bitter, slightly astringent flavor. The licorice was pale yellow with a light, tea-like aroma and a strong sweet, lasting flavor.

I was surprised at the light aroma of the licorice, and also at the sassafras being significantly more like what I think of when I think of licorice flavor. I'm thinking the licorice and sassafras might make a nice combination in a sweet stout.

Anyway, has anyone used any of these in a beer (root beer doesn't count here), or have any other recipe ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 298 Times on 251 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I think licorice whould work well. Sassafras flavor might be overwhelmed by roasted barley. I would consider it for a lighter flavored beer.

I have no idea what birch tastes like. Maybe consider toasting it and using it like oak chips.

On deck: Apple Honey Ale, Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Malt Liquor, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:17 AM   #3
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Do two batches, one an herbal/spice beer (porter or stout is typical, saison or amber might be interesting), the second a root or birch beer. It's a good time for homemade soda (great book here)!

On-Deck:

Primary: Pumpkin Saison; Common Perry

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Bacon488's Mild; Quad; Saison Americain; Tripel; Session Saison; Grodziskie; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Quick Reply