The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Let's hear your "crazy stout" ideas!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #21
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

I do a Chocolate mole porter, so doing it as a stout is a possibility one day, but not necessarily "special" to me now.

But I think of the list I would do maybe the smoked stout, but I don't know If I would go 40% rauch though.

A coconut stout has been on my "to brew" list for a couple of years now, it's an old hbt member's recipe, from on here.

Huh, I just realized, it's been nearly 5 years since I brewed a stout, I guess I have to do one soon.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2010, 03:11 PM   #22
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm actually tinkering with the idea of doing some sort of soured stout with fruit.

Oatmeal stout base
Cherries, Raspberries or Blueberries
Ferment with a regular ale yeast
Inoculate with Wyeast's Roeselare blend
maybe some oak cubes too

Old 07-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #23
SevenFields
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Love the ideas.
I have always wanted to do a chocolate stout with some type of pepper or something to give it a nice spicy flavor, but not tongue burning.
I just cant decide what peppers to use and how much.
I want the flavor to be similar to the Lindt Chili Chocolate bar.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:34 PM   #24
Revvy

Recipes 

Hey howzabout a German Chocolate Cake Stout, complete with chocolate, Coconut, and caramel flavors?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #25
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I do a Chocolate mole porter, so doing it as a stout is a possibility one day, but not necessarily "special" to me now.

But I think of the list I would do maybe the smoked stout, but I don't know If I would go 40% rauch though.

A coconut stout has been on my "to brew" list for a couple of years now, it's an old hbt member's recipe, from on here.

Huh, I just realized, it's been nearly 5 years since I brewed a stout, I guess I have to do one soon.
I've been curious about a mole beer, sounds delicious

Old 07-02-2010, 05:23 PM   #26
uwjester

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovineblitz View Post
That's really interesting. Did you post a thread on it?
No thread yet. I figured I'd work out a good recipe first and then share. So far its been a fairly tricky process. You don't want to boil the tea as that can cause some unwanted bitterness, so you have to make the tea and then add it at flameout. Also, since the thai coffee/tea drinks have the evaporated milk in them, I've been adding about a pound of lactose. No real problem there, but it does add to things to keep track of.

--------------------------------------------------
This space intentionally left blank.
--------------------------------------------------

Old 07-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #27
QuixoticDevice
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Hey howzabout a German Chocolate Cake Stout, complete with chocolate, Coconut, and caramel flavors?
Oooh, and if you rack it on some cherries for the secondary, it'd be a Schwarzwaldkirschtorte Bier!

Old 07-02-2010, 05:57 PM   #28
Tinga
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i want to make a coconut rum porter. i suppose it could be a stout.

i was thinking of using some coconut and molasses in the boil and then in secondary add some more coconut and oak cubes soaked in rum.

im making a banana dunkelweizen soon so depending on how that turns out i may thing about adding bananas to the coconut rum beer.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:36 PM   #29
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticDevice View Post
Oooh, and if you rack it on some cherries for the secondary, it'd be a Schwarzwaldkirschtorte Bier!
I love it!!!!

Old 07-02-2010, 06:42 PM   #30
ChillyP
Recipes 

Cabbage Sardine Stout.

Quick Reply