Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Legacy Hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #51
Eliterunner1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I thought I would enjoy the blackcurrant flavor that this hop has, but it just wasn't for me. I felt like it accentuated the residual sweet flavor of some beers. Could be that it is great for certain styles but I haven't tried them yet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #52
Schumed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I used some legacy to bitter my imperial IPA ...turned out nice ...I did use 6 other hops so not sure how much came from the legacy but it worked well as a bittering

"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems,"

Old 10-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #53
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 489 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumed View Post
I used some legacy to bitter my imperial IPA ...turned out nice ...I did use 6 other hops so not sure how much came from the legacy but it worked well as a bittering
if you used legacy for bittering only, and then layered on 5 other late-addition hops, i wouldn't expect anything of the legacy to have come through.

sounds like a tasty IIPA, tho

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 04-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #54
gpack
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 29

The thread has gone stale. But I have some input.

Belgian Blonde 1.063- 1.011 - WLP 575- Great Compliment with the spiciness/currantiness (?)
Single Hop Pale- 1.052-1.009 -Safale005- Cant tell if the yeast threw some flavors or the hops are that spicy/fruity/belgiany (?)

Interesting.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:55 PM   #55
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 489 Posts
Likes Given: 255

my legacy/vienna smash'ish was quite good but not spectacular. didn't detect any current, just some spice. it was a very drinkable beer.

i used Legacy to bitter a dubbel (http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewreci...44/dubbel-down). it's got so much going on in terms of malt and yeast flavors - LOVE me that 3864 canadian-belgian - that i can't detect any contributions from the legacy. not too surprising.

i don't know if i'll get around to brewing another beer that prominently features this hop. i have about 10 pounds of various hops, including experimentals, that are ahead of legacy on my to-be-brewed list. that vienna smash didn't wow me enough to want to re-brew it right away. i suspect that i'll slowly end up using up the legacy in belgians before i get around to brewing another pale ale with it... but who knows. once i get my brew stand completed maybe i'll be brewing more often

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 03-10-2014, 08:09 PM   #56
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 447

I bought a pound of Legacy in January from HopsDirect. Mine is much higher AA than what was listed at the beginning of this thread. And they smell amazing. A lot of fruity flavors. A little citrus, berry, currant, a little apple. No one thing dominates. It is like a bushel of fruit all blended together.

I used it in the dry hop of an over-hopped pale ale. It was combined with Simcoe, Cascade, and Calypso, so I'm not sure what flavor came just from the Legacy. But nothing bad came through in the flavor or aroma.

I just used it in an amber ale this weekend. Based on smelling the hops again before adding them to the boil, I think they are going to be awesome. Of course, this is another beer where they won't be the complete the focus, because I also added Guajillo and Ancho peppers.

Anyway, I don't know if this hop has improved in quality since it was introduced or if I just happen to like the aspects that other people didn't like, but I haven't noticed anything amiss with it.

Has anybody else used the newest harvest of this hop?

Bottled - The Land of Pils and Honey, an imperial Saison with Clover Honey; a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - an Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, an Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans added

Quick Reply