Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Legacy Hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #21
Eliterunner1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I too look forward to using them for some sort of an IPA. I think I want to try them in combination of Summit as my bittering and cascade. could be an interesting combination

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #22
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 595 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 234

i've read several times that folks recommend pairing legacy with C-hops.

i've recently bought a 3-gallon carboy for the sole purpose of doing half-batch experiments -mostly SMaSH's. first up is amarillo/optic (next weekend), and legacy/vienna is next in line.

i'll also be using some legacy in a breakfast stout, but i don't expect the legacy to really be particularly noticeable amid all those other strong flavors. my main interest in using them is as an excuse to open the bag and have a sniff

Drinking: a belgian pale ale, a belgian imperial stout, an Epic 09.09.09 clone, a brett'ed saison
Carbing: a hop-bursted APA, a citra farmhouse
Fermenting: an abbey ale (to be soured)
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured fruit saison, my "wild oats" brett/sour, a saison with a brett mix added at bottling.
Up next: TBD, probably not brewing again until july.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:58 AM   #23
Eliterunner1
Recipes 

yeah i opened them so I could take that heavy pound bag (more like 18oz) and vaccuum seal them into 1 oz bags

Old 05-30-2012, 01:50 AM   #24
Christer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh my... Just sampled my legacy only pale ale... It is something special. Definately get a fruity berry like aroma and flavor... Currant? Yes sir! More please!

Old 05-30-2012, 04:16 AM   #25
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

i opened my bag of legacy this weekend and used some in two batches. however, i couldn't get a good appreciation of the hops' aroma because (1) it was the first time i dealt with leaf hops - aroma is entirely different from pellets; and (2) the gas that they flush the bags with (nitrogen?) smells really strong. i've opened 3 bags from HopsDirect (including 1 pellet) and all three had that strong gas smell. ugh. t'was a very different experience from any other bags i've ever opened. typically i cut the bag open and stick my head inside to hyperventilate on the intoxicating smell. with the HD bags, i had to hold my nose. i'm assuming that the gas smell will be quickly boiled off and the hops true character will shine through... but what a downer.

Drinking: a belgian pale ale, a belgian imperial stout, an Epic 09.09.09 clone, a brett'ed saison
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured fruit saison, my "wild oats" brett/sour, a saison with a brett mix added at bottling.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #26
Christer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I split my pounds up and stored them in the freezer, used some legacy in the IPA I brewed this weekend and it smelled much better... The bravo lb I got from them smelled great when I first opened it.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #27
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christer View Post
I split my pounds up and stored them in the freezer, used some legacy in the IPA I brewed this weekend and it smelled much better... The bravo lb I got from them smelled great when I first opened it.
interesting. did the legacy initially smell kinda weird? great to hear that that the smell dissipates.

so far the legacy & cascade leafs, and the amarillo pellets, had that gas smell. i've since re-sealed the bags inside food-savers bags. i'll be brewing again in a month, hopefully i've had the bags open long enough to get the smell to vent out. i still have a pound of columbus i haven't opened, but i'm tempted to if only to give it a whiff.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #28
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
interesting. did the legacy initially smell kinda weird? great to hear that that the smell dissipates. .
mine smelled a lil weird at first, almost tea-like to me. i just kegged an ESB with them and you definitely get a berry-like aroma/taste

Old 06-05-2012, 05:26 AM   #29
Eliterunner1
Recipes 

Dry hopped a honey wheat ale with 2 ounces of legacy and it turned out great! Truely a distinct berry like aroma. Was paired with cascade in the brew so I think there is some truth to legacy matching with C hops well. IPA is up on the dockett with these being the primary aroma/flavoring hop.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #30
Eliterunner1
Recipes 

first one is before I decided to pour in the yeast. There is not much head yet, but the carbonation is there is the beer itself!

img_0248-1-.jpg   img_0249-1-.jpg  

Quick Reply