Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Legacy Hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012, 11:51 PM   #11
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 637 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 249

thought i'd resurrect this thread...

i ordered some Legacy from HopsDirect recently, and will be brewing a SMaSH at some point to get to the bottom of this variety. i'm curious about this blackcurrant claim.

others here also got in on HD's yard sale and may have picked up some Legacy. if you've used them, please let us know what you think.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small beer second runnings, our bruin & a few other sours
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: harvest ale with homegrown hops

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 12:19 AM   #12
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 10

The dubbel had awesome flavor from the Legacy. Unfortunately I contaminated the batch. It even got semi-decent ratings at NHC with the contamination. I will brewing it again soon with out contamination!

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:35 AM   #13
wilfonzo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did a legacy SMaSH with MO and it came out really good, can't say that I remember any black currant flavors, but it did go quick. I'm going to do a legacy only pale ale soon.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:17 AM   #14
markg388
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

I'll add a further 2 cents, as i've been brewing a lot with this hop. i used it in an ipa where legacy was the premier hop, along with some ahtanum and citra, and it was really lacking that classic citrusiness of an IPA. it became earthier more than anything else, which I wasn't expecting at all. It is a "wierd" beer, but I've been blending it with a simcoe/cascade pale ale and the combination is just awesome.

I also used it to bitter a diacetyl-laden oatmeal stout which was a bit unpleasant... but that doesn't have much to do with the legacy. whoops! still learning the ways of the highly floculant british strains.

I do get the black currant note when I smell the hops, but to be fair I'd say you could just call it a "berry" note, or even simply "fruity" and it'd be accurate. Did anyone else get some earthy qualities in the finished product or is that just me?

My favorite application of this hop is still sneaking a half ounce into the flameout and another half ounce into the dry hop of a tried and true citrusy west coast IPA. It just adds an exotic fruitiness I can't find in any commercial beer. I have a pale ale and an IPA on tap featuring this quality right now and I just can't get enough... and I used to HATE hoppy beer.

PS. the beer from my earlier post scored a 39 and made it to the top 16? it's kind of a wierd competition... out of 70 or so American IPA's. The judges comments were "so close to beauty" and were thrown off by the cattiness from a 15 minute simcoe addition. The complaint was that the hop character was too complex.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #15
thetragichero
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

used them in a maris otter/legacy SMaSH barleywine (boiled 3 hours). i'll let you know in six months or so when i try it, but i figured the fruity flavour would only help the style

Old 05-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #16
Eliterunner1
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am very curious about this hop. Im new on the brewing scene but I ordered a pound of these from hops direct two days ago, good timing too because i checked today that they are all out. Im making a honey wheat ale tomorrow but I've got at ipa on deck that I am really excited to use these in!

Old 05-10-2012, 10:54 PM   #17
ChillWill
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Sounds a lot like bramling cross to me; black current and spicy dual purpose.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #18
Christer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed up a legacy only pale ale this weekend, bubbling away now! Excited to see what this hop brings to the table.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:04 AM   #19
Cellarbrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It's good to hear this new variety is making some really awesome beers!

To be honest I haven't got around to using up my pound yet. Sorry, I've become highly obsessed with lagers!

Once I get around to brewing some ales again I think I'll be using it quite a bit. 30-60% in browns and ~25% in bitters along with primarily Glacier and perhaps some Tettnang. I'm imagining pot pourri bitter.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #20
apeet
Recipes 

I bought a pound of Legacy from HD but haven't used them yet. I look forward to using them in an IPA.

Quick Reply