Leftover Stout Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketOtter

Reaction score
I have quite a few bags of random quantities of grains left over from porter and RIS brews and decided to throw them all into a stout recipe and see what happens.

Anyone see any glaring issues with this recipe?

Leftover Stout

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WY1272
Yeast Starter: yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.25
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.018
IBU: 43
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 40
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14days @ 65F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): no

OG 1.055 (70% efficiency)
7.5# Pale malt
1.0# Flaked oats
0.75# Crystal 120
0.65# Caramunich II
0.5# Roasted Barley (350l)
0.5# Chocolate (330l)
0.5# Crystal 40
0.125# Special B
0.4# Belgian Aromatic
0.25# Carafa III De-Husked

1.25oz Brewer’s Gold hops at 60

WY1272 yeast

Single infusion mash at 156F for 60 min.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Thats roughly 20% crystal, thats alot even for a sweet stout. And with a 156 mash temp and all that crystal, Im unsure you would make a 66% attenuation.

Thats roughly the right amount of dark grains, that should work.

I am with giraffe, get rid of half of your crystal typre grains, or you may well end up with a very sweet under attenuated stout.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will drop the 0.5# C40, reduce the C120 to 0.25# and replace that lost # with more pale to keep the OG. This should almost halve the percentage of crystal.

Do you think I should drop the mash temp down to 154º or is this reduction in crystal going to keep me out of the overly sweet zone?

My thinking was that I wanted it to have a good stout body and I could always dry it out a bit later with some brown sugar. Am I way off?

Thanks again.

Yeah, 10% crystal for a sweet stout is better, I think that would be drinkable. And dropping the c40 is best, thats just going to add mostly just sweetness and body in a stout, and not much else. You could drop the mash temp as well to produce less dextrins, but you know what you like. If you dont mind a chewy slightly heavy stout, leave it, those can be nice in the winter. I mean, we certainly aint making guiness, or beamish, here.

Adding brown sugar later will just add more alcohol. It wont dry it out per se. I mean it will be dry for a 7% stout, but its going to have the same body as your 6% stout if you didnt add sugar.

Back