Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Leffe Clone: The Bastard Extract Version

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 12:18 AM   #11
Jeffro74
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

I've had about four of these the last week and maybe it's because I'm getting used to it, but I think it's getting better. Better than it was when I just had it at 64F in the basement just after bottling. The warmer temps have done wonders for the flavor. I need to get a six pack of the real stuff this weekend and have the wife give me a blind taste test.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 03:58 AM   #12
SudsyPaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

So... you done the compare? Wife and I had some Leffe Blondes, tonight, and she's gung-ho for me to make some, now I have 1 more brew scheduled this weekend, and then the recipe-calendar is wide open. Probably make this in mid-February.

Do you find it strong enough, hoppy enough? Trying to see if there's anywhere that needs a tweak

Old 02-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #13
Jeffro74
Recipes 

I'm through maybe half a case already and I wasn't going to touch it until February. Haven't done the side by side comparison yet, so I don't know quite how it compares... but it's good

The 3 cups of sugar I added definitely added some alcohol to the beer, though... 2 of these and I'm typically nice and warm.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #14
Jeffro74
Recipes 

Okay... I did the blind taste test last night to less than stellar results. First off, I could easily tell which was mine by looking at it. The color was not as golden and it was not as clear.

I was way thrown off by the taste, though, because the Leffe had a nuttiness that was completely absent from my brew. The original also had a more floral bouquet than mine... and more than I remember from other Leffe's I've had.

... kinda liked mine better... but that's likely because I've been drinking it. Can't call it a Leffe Clone though. Although I want to buy a six pack of Leffe again, because I only found a 750ml at the liquor store... and it looked like it had been there a while.

Quick Reply