Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Leffe Clone: The Bastard Extract Version

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 04:02 AM   #1
Jeffro74
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Default Leffe Clone: The Bastard Extract Version

So I'm going to hack at my first Leffe Clone and I'd love opinions on amounts of ingredients and times in the boil. This was based partially on Revvy's Leffe Clone, with changes based on the fact I'm not an AG brewer (yet) and what was available at the local brew store.

1lb Biscuit malt, 1/2 lb Melanoidin, 1/2 lb Light Munich steeped at 150 degrees for 1 hour in 4 gallons. "Sparged" with another gallon for a 5 gallon boil.

Add 6 lbs Briess Pilsen LME and bring to boil.

3/4oz Czech Saaz for 1 hour (bittering hops)
1/4oz Czech Saaz for 10 minutes (aroma hops)
1oz US Goldings for 5 minutes (aroma hops)

Blonde Belgian candi syrup (not sure when I should add it)

Cool it and pitch WL530 Abbey Ale starter (and how much of a starter should I make?)

Minimum 3 weeks in primary and 3 weeks after bottling... I'd love suggestions on that too. So! Comments? Questions? Concerns? Much appreciation in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1003 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 2073

Good luck on your brew. I usually add sugars and syrups towards the end of the boil - take the pot off the heat and stir it in like to crazy, to keep it from carmelizing (unless that's what you're looking for).

I moved this to the Recipes/Ingredients forum, because the recipe database is for tried and true recipes. After you've made it, if its good and you tweek it, make it again, then add it to the database. Good luck with your brew!

Old 12-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

If it comes out, or once you tweak it over a coupla batches, add it to my recipe, so that folks can have one. I know people are always asking me for one. I'll even tag it in the first post.

Good luck.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
Jeffro74
Recipes 

Brewed this last night... a few changes. After checking Revvy's recipe again, I switched the Goldings and Saaz hops boiling times (used Saaz for aroma and Goldings for bittering)

I also only had a SG around 1.030, so I added three cups of table sugar to the boil. Got my SG around 1.065, which may still have been a bit high, but better than the 1.030.

I also got to cool my kettle in the pile of snow outside!! so that rocked...

Made a 500ml starter from the WL530 and that stuff smells great. So now it's fermenting at about 70degrees until the New Year and I'll have an update for y'all.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:16 AM   #5
Jeffro74
Recipes 

Came home from work tonight and the airlock was happily bubbling away... which made me smile because I haven't had a bubbling airlock since my first brew. I know it doesn't HAVE to bubble for fermentation to happen, but it's fun to see anyway

Old 12-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
SudsyPaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Subbing. I love a Leffe and just stumbled on Revvy's and sadfaced when I saw it was AG. I'm still a while away from going AG.

I'm hoping to have snow outside when I brew this, too... it's the only bonus about winter - easy cooling of wort (outside temp of -20C + 3ft of snow aren't good for much else)

Hopefully it turns out well, if not, maybe I can tweak somewhere and help you improve the recipe with my experiment

Old 12-20-2012, 01:58 AM   #7
Jeffro74
Recipes 

In transparent honesty, I'd love if you tweaked something in the recipe. While I think this will turn out good, I have no delusions it will be an "exact clone" of the Leffe I have come to love... and even after I try it, I'm not sure I know enough to be able to know what I'd need to change to make it closer to the original.

So by all means, keep this up to date with what you change.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:14 AM   #8
SudsyPaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'm super new, but I'll keep reading up. I'll re-read the AG recipe and see if there's something I can tweak.

It'll be a month or so before I make this, so hopefully you've tasted yours and can comment on flavor and see what I can tweak from there

Old 12-23-2012, 05:58 AM   #9
Jeffro74
Recipes 

Took a gravity reading tonight... two weeks in the fermenter and it's at 1.016. Not bad. Thinking I'll leave it for another couple weeks. Probably bottle after the New Year. Let it condition in the bottle until Valentines.

Taste is close a Leffe... didn't have one to compare, though. I'll make sure to have some when I bottle. The wife likes it, though... so that's a bonus

Old 01-07-2013, 04:36 AM   #10
Jeffro74
Recipes 

Forgot to add to the thread: bottled on New Year's Day. Wish I had a pack of Leffe to compare it to, just to see where it's at flavor-wise... but seeing as it's young and flat, wasn't gonna be close

Quick Reply