Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Leaf Hop Absorption Measured

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #11
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 539

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNH View Post
Came across this thread and had to chime in that while this experiment seems valid my anecdotal evidence suggests a lot more absorption.

Perhaps some confounding factors are:

1. Dryness of the hops.
2. Integrity of the hop (does a whole bud absorb more then a shredded bud?)
3. The impact of the boil process
4. The total volume of the mass vs time left to drip.

I do know that no matter how well I try to drain, when I come back to the kettle to dump and clean later more wort has magically appeared which tells me "time to drip" is probably a significant factor. I don't like to leave things exposed for a long time during the vulnerable stage of the wort.

Regards,

Chris
I agree. I account for whole hops to absorb 12 oz. of wort for every oz. of hops and I find that quite accurate.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 04:26 PM   #12
ChemE
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Denny, I don't know how an ounce of hops could absorb that much liquid unless it didn't have any time to drain at all.

My Super Efficient 5-Gallon Mash Lauter TunGraduating CarboysLeaf Hop Absorption Measured
Primary - Bemused Bitter, Munich Saaz SMaSH
Secondary - Air
Bottled - Oatmeal Stout 2011, Apfelwein, Withdrawn Wheat, Bourbon Barrel Barleywine SMaSH, Christmas Ale 2010, Perplexed Pale Ale

Old 12-31-2012, 04:43 PM   #13
Denny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemE View Post
Denny, I don't know how an ounce of hops could absorb that much liquid unless it didn't have any time to drain at all.
It's a figure I saw many years ago. I adopted it and it's been pretty accurate for me. I generally do little to no draining of the hops, though.

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 12-31-2012, 05:09 PM   #14
ChrisNH
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I agree. I account for whole hops to absorb 12 oz. of wort for every oz. of hops and I find that quite accurate.
Thanks, I will start with that assumption. I am going to pay more attention to my losses in upcoming beers and try to get a better feel for whats happening in my kettle. I have just added a valve to my kettle after dumping through a colander for years and that has made me look more closely at my assumptions about where my losses are coming from.

Seacoast New Hampshire
Live Free or Die!

Old 12-31-2012, 05:19 PM   #15
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts

Thanks for running this experiment.

What's needed now is more experiments like this, or close observation on brew day to establish how much this number varies. I think it should be pretty simple to keep track of the wet weight if a hop sack is used.

Kai

Old 12-31-2012, 05:19 PM   #16
HawksBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1031 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I have to agree with a number similar to that, especially w/ dryhopping. I brewed a 10 gal batch of APA w/ 26 oz of hops and ended up bottling only around 65-70 beers, having lost 3.5 gals or so to hops in either the boil or primary/secondary. When I did the math I think the number was something around 12-15oz of wort/beer lost for every oz of hops.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:30 PM   #17
ChemE
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
Thanks for running this experiment.

What's needed now is more experiments like this, or close observation on brew day to establish how much this number varies. I think it should be pretty simple to keep track of the wet weight if a hop sack is used.

Kai
My pleasure Kai. I would like to see others replicate this too. If I lost 12 ounces of finished beer per ounce I would sanitize a laundry mangle or something!!!

My Super Efficient 5-Gallon Mash Lauter TunGraduating CarboysLeaf Hop Absorption Measured
Primary - Bemused Bitter, Munich Saaz SMaSH
Secondary - Air
Bottled - Oatmeal Stout 2011, Apfelwein, Withdrawn Wheat, Bourbon Barrel Barleywine SMaSH, Christmas Ale 2010, Perplexed Pale Ale

Old 01-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #18
Denny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogphish View Post
i don't think that squeezing the hops will extract tannins. i believe that only the grains have tannins that you should worry about. i asked that exact question on this forum before, and that was the general consensus.
Nope, hops have tannins, too.

www.dennybrew.com

Old 01-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #19
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts

I brewed an IPA^2 with my home grown whole leaf hops last night. To see how much wort gets absorbed by the hops and some trub I let them drain in a funnel with screen. I used that set-up to recover wort for later yeast propagation.

The 120g (4 oz) hops that I started with weighed about 990 g once allowed to drain. This is an absorption of about 7.3 oz wort per oz dry hops. Or 200 ml/oz (ChemE, you should stick with SI or US units).

I did have some trub in these hops which does absorb a considerable amount of wort and could be the cause for the higher number. But trub will always be present in practice. The amount will depend on the grist or if extract was used. In this case most of the hot break went into the fermenter, though.

Kai

Old 01-03-2013, 12:33 AM   #20
RichBenn
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'm willing to bet when using hops in a bag that the amount of remaining water vs. weight of hops is not linear; that is, you may get a different water/hop ratio in a bag with more hops than in a smaller sample.

Whether this is significant compared to the other variables at play, I can't say. Another experiment(sigh...).

What I will say is that I squeeze my hop bags (used in the boil) with a spoon against the side of the kettle. The technique seems most effective for certain amounts (5 oz or so) of hops, due to the size of the spoon and bag. I haven't weighed the leftover hops yet, but my final fermentor volumes suggest it's fairly effective. All that hop juice is too good to pass on for highly hopped IPAs and IIPAs, IMHO.

I do aplaud your efforts to get a handle on this topic, as no doubt many have pondered the question. Whatever your hopping/straining/transfer method, knowing what you have at the end is important for recipe adjustment.

Quick Reply