The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Leaf Hop Absorption

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2006, 03:51 AM   #11
captaineriv
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf
I brew in 5g batches, but I have to ask:
If you're considering using a garden shovel to transfer the grain, what size batches do you brew?

-a.
Haha. I meant the little hand trowels for planting small plants. Thanks for the sparge info. So far, I've done it by regulating the flow on both vessels so that the water level in the mash tun stays at a constant 1 inch above the grainbed. I'll definitely try your suggestion next time. Seems to make a lot of sense. I was hoping for at least a 1 hour sparge before it started but could only stretch it out for 45 mins.

captaineriv

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2006, 04:04 AM   #12
captaineriv
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf
If you sparge with 170 degree water, by the time it has meandered through the tubing and out of the sparge arm, it will probably be several degrees cooler. You want the temp to be about 170 degrees after it exits the sparge arm.

-a.
Just noticed this from earlier. What should I heat my initial sparge water up to so I can correct for losing a few degrees?

captaineriv

Old 03-20-2006, 05:04 AM   #13
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaineriv
Just noticed this from earlier. What should I heat my initial sparge water up to so I can correct for losing a few degrees?

captaineriv
What's right for me isn't necessarily what's right for you.
I jammed my sparge arm so it wouldn't rotate and then fed water through the tubing onto a digital thermometer.
It took me about 5 exciting hours to determine that I was losing 10 degrees from the HLT to the outlet from the sparge arm.

-a.

Old 03-20-2006, 01:53 PM   #14
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

To go back to the earlier part of the discussion, I lose 20-25% to evaporation during a 1hr boil. I believe this high rate is due to my 30qt ss pot being full to the brim when I start boiling and hence all the evaporation escapes to the atmosphere.

I recently acquired a keggle (sans fittings), so I'm hoping that the high sides and curved top will trap more of the evaporative losses and return the to the boil and reduce my loss to evaporation.

Old 03-20-2006, 01:57 PM   #15
captaineriv
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

wow, 10 degrees sounds like a lot. I suppose it would help to maybe do a little experiment with this before the real deal next time.

captaineriv

Old 03-20-2006, 02:00 PM   #16
captaineriv
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von BeeGee
To go back to the earlier part of the discussion, I lose 20-25% to evaporation during a 1hr boil. I believe this high rate is due to my 30qt ss pot being full to the brim when I start boiling and hence all the evaporation escapes to the atmosphere.
I use this same size ss pot. 20-25% seems about right for me, looking back. No where around where I had planned though. Thanks for your observation.

captaineriv

Quick Reply