*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Lazy magnolia's southern pecan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2008, 10:08 PM   #11
Spyk'd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoSeR
We have it on tap at a couple of bars around Pensacola.
I heard that Abita rents the recipe for their seasonal bear Pecan Harvest, don't know if its true or not??
I also heard they just started bottling it recently, mostly available in kegs, I've never seen a bottle of it.
I would love an AG recipe for it, its good stuff.
Ok, you got my attention. Yes, I work at Lazy Magnolia. I'm the Packing/Personnel Manager.

Here's what I can tell you: Abita does not use our recipe for their Harvest Pecan. Their's uses pecan extract and is completely devoid of any kind of body. Based on that I know about their brewing practices, I wouldn't be surprised if they just took their Amber and added pecan extract to it. That's all I'll say about that.

What I can't tell you is the exact recipe, but you are on the right track with the ingredients already listed. Just remember to heavily roast your pecans and don't overdo them and compensate for the oils that come out of them with wheat malt and CaraPils. As for the yeast, try Safbrew S-33.

It is true that we just started bottling Southern Pecan in December and it will be a little expensive in bottles in most areas away from the Gulf Coast, based on availability. We simply cannot bottle fast enough to keep up with the demand! (Good problem to have).

We are hiring right now at the brewery in anticipation of the arrival of our three new 60BBL fermenting tanks. We'll need brewers to help keep those tanks full and I've been interviewing for the past three weeks. If interested, please submit your resume through the website and it will come to me.

For those interested in visiting the brewery, we do tours every Saturday at 10:30AM. Email me for more information or questions: darren@lazymagnolia.com.

Thanks for all the kind words regarding Southern Pecan. We should have another flavor available in bottles within the next three to six months.

Cheers y'all!

American Red
Keg Conditioning:
Gruit
On Tap:
ESB
Bottled:
Nada...
On Deck:
Porter, Belgian Abbey Ale

Last edited by Spyk'd; 03-24-2008 at 10:24 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2008, 10:14 PM   #12
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Thanks for posting that Spyk'd.
I lurked this thread hoping you would find it, the whole time wondering whether we should out you.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 03-24-2008, 10:20 PM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2734 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

God, that sounds tasty.....I hope one of you brilliant brewers comes up with a clone for it...Since you can actually taste it I'd definitely brew up a batch.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-24-2008, 10:26 PM   #14
Spyk'd

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo
Thanks for posting that Spyk'd.
I lurked this thread hoping you would find it, the whole time wondering whether we should out you.
I don't mind people knowing that I work at LM and am always happy to help out in regards to questions and information regarding the company and the beers!

American Red
Keg Conditioning:
Gruit
On Tap:
ESB
Bottled:
Nada...
On Deck:
Porter, Belgian Abbey Ale

Old 03-25-2008, 12:05 AM   #15
ClutchDude
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyk'd
It is true that we just started bottling Southern Pecan in December and it will be a little expensive in bottles in most areas away from the Gulf Coast, based on availability. We simply cannot bottle fast enough to keep up with the demand! (Good problem to have).
Indeed! I keep going to McDade's only to find 1 or 2 various type Party Pigs and no bottles at all. When it's in stock, I grab a six pack for sure. It is delicious beer that I wish I could afford keep constantly on tap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyk'd
Here's what I can tell you: Abita does not use our recipe for their Harvest Pecan. Their's uses pecan extract and is completely devoid of any kind of body. Based on that I know about their brewing practices, I wouldn't be surprised if they just took their Amber and added pecan extract to it. That's all I'll say about that.
I had both, side by side about a month ago and my unrefined tasting agrees to all of that. The Southern Pecan just simply has more flavor and body to it. This isn't to say the Abita "Harvest Pecan" isn't good. I'm just saying that Southern Pecan is what the ideal should be if you want a beer with pecans.

If you are passing through Birmingham, AL give Alabrew a call and stop by. They are very friendly especially to us LHBS-less folks in MS.

Anywho, Alabrew's Clone looks to be pretty close:

10.5# of Muntons Pale Ale (Marris Otter Pale Ale Malt)
.75# Muntons Crystal 60L (should sub out for caramel maybe 40L? or cara-pils)
.25# Weyermann Light wheat

Bitterness 15
Target Hops 1 oz I think (i spilled some wort over that during cleanup)
tettnang .5oz 30mins
tettnang .5oz 15mins

I used Chriso's Scottish 80/- Pecan as a guide to getting the pecans prep'd. (just used the same recipe switched with walnuts for the my current batch)

Thanks Spky'd for speaking up in here. My roomate and I really need to come down there one weekend and bring a couple of other local homebrewers with us.

Congrats on the expansion and hope we can start seeing more here in Jackson.

Landed In Texas.
Primary 1: Blonde?(9/14/2013)
Primary 2: Empty
Sanke madness!
Sanke Spiral Ring Installing, Sanke Coupler diassembly, Keggle Heatshield, Sanke fitting to Soda kegs

Old 03-25-2008, 12:41 AM   #16
hammer one

Recipes 

I'm glad I started this thread, even more glad I checked back. just 1 Q... how many pounds of pecans for a 5gal batch? Also congrats on the expansion! it's great when you hit the nail on the head

Old 03-25-2008, 01:18 AM   #17
ClutchDude
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Recipe calls for 8oz , I went with about 10oz.

Landed In Texas.
Sanke madness!
Sanke Spiral Ring Installing, Sanke Coupler diassembly, Keggle Heatshield, Sanke fitting to Soda kegs

Old 03-25-2008, 05:33 AM   #18
BakerStreetBeers

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just to be 100% clear, the pecans go in the mash?

On Tap: Dunkelweizen, Strong Irish Red
On Deck: Agave Wit, DC's RyePA, Belgian Blonde

"Ale man, ale's the stuff to drink / For fellows whom it hurts to think."
- Housman

Old 03-25-2008, 01:58 PM   #19
ClutchDude
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I threw them in the mash. It'd be interesting to see how'd it taste if you threw them in the last 10-15 minutes. May do that for the next iteration.

Landed In Texas.
Sanke madness!

Old 03-25-2008, 02:03 PM   #20
BakerStreetBeers

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks Clutchdude. Are you thinking later mash addition would give you lest roasty and more pure pecan?

I'm very fascinated by the pecan thing. Particularly since the Lazy Magnolia version is apparently all that and a bag of chips and my chances of tasting it on the west coast any time soon seem pretty slim. I'm wondering how it would work in something on the sweeter side, say a doppelbock.

On Tap: Dunkelweizen, Strong Irish Red
On Deck: Agave Wit, DC's RyePA, Belgian Blonde

"Ale man, ale's the stuff to drink / For fellows whom it hurts to think."
- Housman

Quick Reply