Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Lavender beer (I know)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2010, 02:51 PM   #21
kaastel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Ohyeah, forgot some details. These were 3 gallon batches split into 1-gallon secondaries. The dose then I like is 2 tbs/gallon in secondary. So if your batch/secondary is larger, you'll need to up the lavender appropriately. It was in the secondary for 3 weeks before bottling. You can watch the lavender and it seems like when it blanches in the secondary it's probably lost as much flavour as it's going to.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2010, 04:19 AM   #22
sweaterman
Recipes 

How did this turn out, can you remember that long ago? I've been thinking about doing lavender with a saison or a wheat. Anymore hints?

Be kinder than necessary, everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #23
kaastel
Recipes 

Quote:
How did this turn out, can you remember that long ago? I've been thinking about doing lavender with a saison or a wheat. Anymore hints?
So far the best ones I've used 2 tbs lavender/gallon in the secondary. 4 is a bit too strong of a flavour, 1 is quite subtle. I did end up doing a milk lavender stout and it was quite good. My first lavender beers were in a wheat, which really allowed the lavender flavour to dominate. I'm not sure how it would interact with the funky flavours of a saison. Good luck!

Old 12-08-2010, 03:27 PM   #24
ckwatkins
Recipes 

One of the guys in HBC brewed a lavender wheat this last summer. I wasn't there during his brew session but he did mention that he put a tsp of lavender in the boil with each hop addition. I tasted it last month and it had a nice, not overpowering, lavender aroma and just a hint of it found in the taste. It turned out quite well for an experiment.

I remember him saying that when he dropped the lavender in with the hops the wort turned a crazy green color that almost made him stop adding any more. He decided to still go with it and the green color boiled out and the wheat looked perfect.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:47 PM   #25
bluidshay
Recipes 

We have a big, happy lavender bush in our yard. I'd like to try this recipe when it blooms. This goes on my list . I'm too "young" in homebrew years to really start mucking about with experiments yet, but I'm wondering what happens if I use Papazian's "Linda's lovely light" and sub in an as yet unknown quantity of lavender for the ginger (which 4 oz in 5 gal is just perfect for me). Or maybe add it in ADDITION to the ginger...but I think the ginger would totally overpower it. Hmmm...

Old 08-31-2011, 05:12 AM   #26
Hulud
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

glad to see people have tried this, my fiancee just asked me about doing one tonight.

so i am researching it to see how it will turn out

Old 11-07-2011, 07:00 AM   #27
bbbblaine
Recipes 

I know this topic is pretty old, but I was wondering what the best yeast would be to use in a Lavender Wheat? Should it be a neutral yeast, or maybe something like an American Hefeweizen?

Old 12-28-2011, 03:32 AM   #28
bbbblaine
Recipes 

I made a simple wheat beer (2 gallon batch with a couple lbs of wheat DME and a bit of flaked wheat) and added 2.5 tbsp of culinary lavender PER gallon. The lavender was added into the secondary after being in primary for 1 week. I left it in secondary before bottling for about 2 weeks. The result was a pretty damn strong aroma, and very tasty lavender flavor. Personally, as I am not a huge lavender fan, I would probably use around 1.5 or 2 tbsp of lavender per gallon in the future, but my girlfriend (loves lavender) said it could use even a little MORE lavender.

Overall, I think this experiment was successful and I will definitely be brewing it again, except next time using AG rather than extract.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the yeast I ended up using was Safbrew T-58 which was described to me as a sort of neutral yeast that would be good for a flavored wheat beer.

Last edited by bbbblaine; 12-28-2011 at 03:38 AM.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #29
luhrks
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Thanks for this thread. The LTR just asked for me to brew a Lavender Cream Ale for her house warming. Now I've got some guidelines.

Quick Reply