Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Lavender beer (I know)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2008, 01:45 AM   #11
McKBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I drove through Sequim today (just to share my Sequim experience). They have a few wineries over that way, I'd love to live on the Olympic Peninsula, but not necessarily in Sequim.

Make Beer, Not War.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2008, 02:45 AM   #12
micsager
Recipes 

Too bad about Ted's place, eh? But, that's what got me to do this on my own.......

Old 03-18-2008, 03:20 PM   #13
john from dc
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

also interested to see how you liked it. my girlfriend is a big lavender fan, and i'm considering adding some to my heather ale at bottling.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:29 PM   #14
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I've had Lavender cookies and they were good. I'd imagine it would be easy to overdo it.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:02 PM   #15
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Dave Wills is planning a lavender beer for the Oregon City Lavender fest. He had four test pigs (2.25 gal.) last night:

Wit with 4.5 grams of lavender flowers for a week
Beaver Tail with 9 grams
Beaver Tail with 18 grams

He had two pigs of the Beaver Tail with 9 grams, which was a good idea as most people liked that the best. The hopheads were voting for the 18.

He also had samples of his Bourbon Barrel Porter (11%). Smelled so good, I was afraid to taste it. Tasted better.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-21-2010, 02:09 AM   #16
bwomp313
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I realize this thread hasn't been used in a while, but I'm wondering, what about using lavender honey?

Old 02-15-2010, 09:28 PM   #17
kaastel
Recipes 

Default Lavender Wheat Ale = Success!

I brewed a basic wheat ale and dry hopped with lavender. My wife loves it, and I find it quite drinkable, too. The lavender flavour is more mild than I would expect, and it balances well with the hops and malt. I would definitely recommend it, especially for strong-beer-fearing types.
My recipe:

5 gallon wort
6# wheat DME ay flameout
1 oz Cascade @ 60
1 oz Willamette @ 30
0.5 oz Amarillo @ 5
Yeast: Safale US-05
OG: 1.070
Primary: 20 days
Secondary: Drew off 1 gallon with 1 cup steamed culinary lavender added for 21 days

Old 07-27-2010, 05:12 AM   #18
Havesomebeer
Recipes 

This is kinda a late post, but i just got the idea tonight. we live near a lavender farm here in Atascadero. At the fair tonight they had a booth, and i got to thinking, I really like citrus infused beer and Recently had a lavender lemon soda and really liked it. So why not make a Lavender infused citrus style beer. I made a orange blossom mead and might try that with lavender, but maybe a Honey blonde or wit would be the way to go. i understand that i should find the grosso lavender, so that query will go to the lavender farmer. Have plans to make a wit this week and will draw a second from the mash and infuse it, maybe a gallon. aiming for 3-5% ALC. I will also leave the gruit in for the wit feel and taste. hopefully it will turn out. Any experience not already posted would help. thanks - Tim

Old 07-27-2010, 03:07 PM   #19
kaastel
Recipes 

I've done a number of follow-up experiments with lavender in an attempt to improve/perfect it.
1) Added 2 tbs culinary lavender to previously described wheat recipe at beginning of boil, end of boil, or in secondary. Of 11 tasters, end of boil got the highest score, but they were all similar. The secondary definitely had a greater lavender aroma and flavour. The beginning of boil was almost invisible, and the end of boil had a very slight aroma and flavour.
2) Added 1, 2, or 4 tbs culinary lavender to the secondary of the above wheat recipe. The 2 tbs got the highest score here. The 1 was present but subtle. The 4 was quite strong- many thought overpowering, but my wife was happy with it.
3) All-grain stout (3# 2-row, 1# choc malt, 0.5# dark crystal, 0.25# each roasted barley and red wheat, mash 160 x60min, 0.5 oz Fuggles at 60 and 30 min, Yeast S-04) with 0, 2, or 4 tbs lavender added to secondary. The 2 tbs got the highest score and was _really_ interesting. The stout and lavender flavours worked quite well.

Summary: I plan to use 2 tbs in the secondary in the future. Planning to do the wheat and the stout with that amount of lavender as well as some lactose, since I think a little sweetness with the lavender would be fabulous.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:13 PM   #20
devilishprune
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

How long did you leave the beer on the lavender? I just picked up some in hopes of using it in a beer.

Quick Reply