Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Last minute tweaks to Ninkasi-ish recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #11
Beernip
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarGumption View Post
Any clue on how they can get 1968 to attenuate enough? Even per the upper end specs for that yeast I can't see the recipe getting dry enough compared to what I taste.
I regularly get my ESB's down to 1.012 with this yeast. Never tested a TD but I would think that it is close to that. Just pitch a really healthy and active 2L starter or on to a yeast cake. Once it starts to die down to that last few points you can swirl gently every day and have gotten and a extra 2 points that way.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #12
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

1968 generally works better than expected so don't worry. I brewed a successful Tricerahops clone that was pretty spot on. A stir plate helps dramatically, but intermittent shaking the yeast starter can also work.

As others have said, pitch enough healthy yeast, gradually increase the temperature from lower to upper 60s, and be patient. Instead of racking directly after fermentation, leave it for 3 weeks in the primary before dryhopping.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #13
GuitarGumption
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hm, on my first TD attempt I did use that yeast, and thought I had a good starter. I did 2 pints of water and 1/2 cup DME per White Labs' website recommendation. Let it go for 40 hours or so. This is what I've been doing usually and it normally works great.

I left that one in primary I think close to 3.5 weeks, and did shake occasionally because I wanted to let it attenuate more, but it never got below 1.018. Starting gravity was 1.071.

This latest try, using the dry british ale yeast I'm down to 1.005 without a sweat! Does seem a little dry on paper, but latest tester tastes really good, and much closer than last time.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #14
Beernip
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'd mash around 150 if I was you to help the attenuation.

That is a standard 1L starter. I'd go for double that yeast. Look at Mr Malty's calc.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #15
GuitarGumption
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well I just started carbonating and got my first taste. It's great! My best IPA so far for sure. I don't have a TD nearby to compare, but it seems fairly similar as far as bitterness, hop flavor and aroma amount. Next time I'll get ahold of some Crystal hops to really do it right.

I think I will stick to the WLP007 yeast, and mash a little higher next time just so it doesn't dry out quite so much and see how that changes the character. I really liked how this yeast worked fast and left the beer very clear and clean tasting. It already tastes good with about 1 week ferment, 1 week dry hop, and now in keg.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #16
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarGumption View Post
Hm, on my first TD attempt I did use that yeast, and thought I had a good starter. I did 2 pints of water and 1/2 cup DME per White Labs' website recommendation. Let it go for 40 hours or so. This is what I've been doing usually and it normally works great.

I left that one in primary I think close to 3.5 weeks, and did shake occasionally because I wanted to let it attenuate more, but it never got below 1.018. Starting gravity was 1.071.

This latest try, using the dry british ale yeast I'm down to 1.005 without a sweat! Does seem a little dry on paper, but latest tester tastes really good, and much closer than last time.
I just had a partial mash IIPA drop from 1.072 to 1.011 with Wyeast 1968. Do you remember your mash temp, mash time, and mash ratio for your first attempt? Did you use any % of simple sugars to help dry the beer out further?

Old 09-19-2013, 03:38 AM   #17
cheez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

This thread is a little old but as others have mentioned, a mash temp of around 150 helps get the FG down. I consistently get 80%+ attenuation out of the 1968 yeast at a mash temp of 150.

Irish Red Ale
Ginger Ale
Belgian Wit
Winter Ale

Quick Reply