Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Lagunitas Sucks clone?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 01:13 AM   #21
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Well I got the ingredients for this one today, going to brew Saturday. Couldn't remember the yeast at the LHBS so I went 1272, making a 1.5L starter now. Was able to get all these hops even Amarillo and citra at Beer Necessities, they rock. Not sure about the 75 min mash at 156, sounds high and long. Was thinking 152 for 60. I remember this beer not being too bitter, having great complexity with the grains but not overly sweet or malty.

On tap: Turbo DIPA, Naked American Wheat, Sightless Swine IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 03:41 AM   #22
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Also I have NO idea if this clone recipe from hopville has been done and how close it got but it looked too good not to try. I'm naming it 4-way IPA and if it comes out good may become my house Imperial IPA.

On tap: Turbo DIPA, Naked American Wheat, Sightless Swine IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 02-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #23
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Hit the pre boil gravity dead on but missed the OG by .07, came out at .071 but should be good. The OG sample tasted ridiculously hoppy... Yay. After flameout I chilled to 180 then stopped the chiller and steeped the 4 oz of post boil hops for 30 mins. Been reading about hop stands and decided to try this 180 degree method. After 30 mins of steeping it was still at about 165. The wy 1272 took about 24 hours to start but is chugging away at 68 degrees. High hopes for this batch.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #24
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Also I ended up mashing about 153-152 for 75 mins. Was actually shooting for closer to 154-156 but I forgot to to check the "adjust for temp of equipment" no in beersmith so my strike temp was a little low. Pretty awesome how accurate beersmith is on the strike temp when you setup your equipment profile and enter the temperature of the mash tun and grain. I don't bother preheating my mash tun anymore, just use the calculations in beersmith and they are dead on!!!

Old 02-20-2013, 11:12 PM   #25
eandersen
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 56 Posts

I emailed Lagunitas today to ask them about the recipe. This is what I got.

Glad you love the Sucks, it's delicious. As far as getting the ingredients, this is a great start to beginning your brew.

Lagunitas Sucks Ale
HOPS MALTS
-Cascade -2 Row
-Simcoe -Malted Rye
-Summit -Red Wheat
-Columbus
-Tomahawk
-Zeus
-Willamette
-Nugget
-Chinook
-Apollo
-Supercritical CO2 Hop Extract

Hope that Helps!

Old 02-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #26
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandersen

Glad you love the Sucks, it's delicious. As far as getting the ingredients, this is a great start to beginning your brew.

Lagunitas Sucks Ale
HOPS MALTS
-Cascade -2 Row
-Simcoe -Malted Rye
-Summit -Red Wheat
-Columbus
-Tomahawk
-Zeus
-Willamette
-Nugget
-Chinook
-Apollo

Hope that Helps!
Wow wonder if they use all the hops in one batch? I don't get the grain bill. It's described as a 4 cereal medley with barley, oats, rye and wheat, missing the oats.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #27
Fungi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

keep us posted. I found a place nearby that has several sixers of if so I stocked up.... this is the best beer ever! Amazing aroma & mouth feel

Old 02-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #28
bsteggeman
Recipes 

Anyone make progress on converting the all grain recipe to an extract/mini-mash recipe? It should be doable, especially since Northern Brewer now has rye extract.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:28 AM   #29
drives_a_bike
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 66

My wife was just in mpls and got me a sixer of it. I just tried it, and it might be my new favorite IPA...although its hard to beat Furious. I'm continuously amazed at what this brewery puts out...just great stuff

On Deck: Night Train (Imperial Rye Cascadian Dark Ale), Festivus! (4th annual winter warmer), Kosmic Blues (pale ale), NB Brunch Stout.
Primary: Rye Saison
Secondary: Oaked Rye Porter
Secondary: Xanadu Barleywine 2013

Old 03-05-2013, 01:51 AM   #30
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 194 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandersen View Post

Lagunitas Sucks Ale
HOPS MALTS
-Cascade -2 Row
-Simcoe -Malted Rye
-Summit -Red Wheat
-Columbus
-Tomahawk
-Zeus
-Willamette
-Nugget
-Chinook
-Apollo

Hope that Helps!
Aren't Columbus, tomahawk, and zeus all the same hop? Pretty sure they are

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Quick Reply