Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Lagunitas IPA (AG)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
Matt Up North
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Lagunitas IPA (AG)

So a friend of mine really digs this beer and so I told him that if he bought the supplies, then I would supply him some beer. So ten gallons are about to be brewed up.

1.065 / 9 SRM / 46 IBU

75% 21lbs Pale Malt (called for two row, I am going to use Pilsner)
6% 1.75lbs Wheat
6% 1.75lbs Munich
4% 1lbs C60
9% 2.5lbs C10

1oz Northern Brewer 60min
.25oz Summit 60min
2oz Willamette 30min
1oz Centennial 30min
.25oz Summit 30min
2.5oz Cascade 1min

2oz Cascade and Centennial Dry Hop

1968 Wyeast at 66*f for a week

I don't have faith in my ability to mash at the elusive 160, so I am going to aim for 158. I want to keep the beer relatively sweet, but at the same time I don't have the extreme temp control so I can't go from 65 to 67 to 68 and finish at 70. I can keep a constant 65 and then get it up to about 75 for a Diacetyl ridding rest. So in order for me to make sure I don't end up with 1.025 beer, I am going to be mashing at 158.

I made the mistake though of not getting the right Crystal and instead grabbed 115, so I will have to figure that one out. Maybe brew on Teusday instead of Monday.

I used the Jamil recipe as a base and followed it mostly to the line. I changed up the summit at 30min and the mash temp and the base malt (I already have a sack of pale malt and don't want to spend $40 for more just because).

EDIT 9/19/09: I am going to post my final final recipe so that people can see how I did it differently.

OG 1.061 / FG 1.016 / IBU 46 / SRM 9 / ABV 6.0%

75% 21lbs Weyerman German Pilsner
6% 1.75lbs Red Wheat
6% 1.75lbs Munich 6.5L
4% 1lbs C60
4.5% 1.25lbs C20
4.5% 1.25lbs CaraPilz

.25oz Summit FWH
1oz Northern Brewer 60min
.25oz Summit 60min
2oz Willamette 30min
1oz Centennial 30min
.25oz Summit 30min
2.5oz Cascade 1min

2oz Cascade and Centennial Dry Hop

1968 Wyeast at 68*f for a week and then upping the temp to 75* for a week, racking to secondary and dry hopping for a week. Then bottling half and kegging half. The bottles hit their prime about week 4 and the keg was kicked by week 3.5 so that worked out just fine

Last edited by Matt Up North; 11-24-2009 at 05:27 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

I brewed this beer three weeks ago, and kegged it yesterday. I used the same grain bill, but my hops were Columbus and Magnum for the first bittering, Williamette and Centennial at 30 minutes, and Cascade at flame out. Cascade and Centennial for dry hops. My hop substitutions were based on what I had available to me at the time as opposed to any particular desire to stray from the original recipe. I did mash at 160, and used WLP002 English Ale yeast.

It started at 1.062 and finished at 1.016, which I thought was pretty good for that high a mash temp. I didn't think the hydro sample tasted sweet at all, though I have a hard time assessing the body of a beer from a warm flat sample. I'm just not that good.

Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Old 09-13-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have mashed other things at 160, but I have to say, it was a mild and didn't have this percentage of crystal. I could do it, but I am also about to change my process with a sparging cooler and starting to use a pump between my mash kettle and boil kettle. I don't want to do too many crazy things at one time.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

By the way, I also didn't have the ability to step up the fermentation temp as Jamil did. Mine was a constant 66 for the entire time and it still got down to 1.016.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:39 AM   #5
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I slightly adjusted the recipe, but stayed to it for the most part. It smelled excellent going into the fermenter. I am looking forward to it in three weeks. I am amazed, we hit the color spot on and the smell isgreat...now to control fermenting temperature. The OG is 1.061 and the fermenter was 79 when I left it last night.

Ps...I measured a bottle of this from the store at 1.016, so you finished right

PPS...I just checked it the next morning and it is sitting cleanly at 63*F with an ambient of 60*.

Last edited by Matt Up North; 09-16-2009 at 02:03 PM.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:09 AM   #6
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Up North View Post
I slightly adjusted the recipe, but stayed to it for the most part. It smelled excellent going into the fermenter. I am looking forward to it in three weeks. I am amazed, we hit the color spot on and the smell isgreat...now to control fermenting temperature. The OG is 1.061 and the fermenter was 79 when I left it last night.

Ps...I measured a bottle of this from the store at 1.016, so you finished right
BTW, mine started at 1.062, so I'll be curious what you finish at. I tasted a sample from the keg, though it's not fully carbed yet. I'm not sure what I expected an IPA mashed at 160 to taste like, but I'd never have guessed that this beer was mashed crazy-high. Definitely not sweet or cloying or anything like that.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:56 AM   #7
brokenanchor
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This post made my day. Up until about a week ago you couldn't find Lagunitas in stores around here, but it became one of my favorites after drinking it for the first time on vacation this summer. I've already got Wyeast 1968 but I'm missing the Summit and Northern Brewer, but I figure I'll switch Northern with Chinook and Summit with Cascade...might not be completely spot on but close enough. I never would have imagined that it was mashed at 160 either. That's probably why I like it so much though...it has an increase in body, but isn't sweet, or distracting from the hop characteristics. Stunned, how close is your clone to the real thing?

Old 09-17-2009, 10:27 AM   #8
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenanchor View Post
Stunned, how close is your clone to the real thing?
I can't answer that. When I sampled it it was only a couple of days under CO2 and it wasn't fully carbonated. It's not yet inside the keezer, it's in my holding fridge. But even so I'm not one to ask since I can't get Laugintas IPA around here, so I've no way to directly compare them. I've had it before, but it's been awhile.

My general feeling on things like this is that no way will anything that I brew approach something like Lagunitas.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:27 PM   #9
brokenanchor
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Way to be humble...I'm with you though, if I can get this to taste remotely close to how Lagunitas tastes I'll be very happy...and quite possibly drunkel

Old 09-19-2009, 03:28 PM   #10
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I just pulled a sample yesterday to check on the progress and worry a little bit more. It is definately Lagunitas IPA. I filtered it and ran the numbers and we are rolling pretty at 5.4plato (1.022), 5.1%abv and 4.6ph. It smells and tastes just like a Lagunitas IPA and really is close. I see this being finished today and I will check it in another week. Here's the kicker, if it stopped right now I would still bottle it up. It is that close to the real thing. Of course, as I mentioned, I added a little bit of something here and there to make the recipe different. It didn't detract though.

If you like the Lagunitas IPA, then this is a winner. Thank Jamil when you get a chance. I just posted my recipe on the first post so that you can see the difference between mine and theirs

Last edited by Matt Up North; 09-19-2009 at 03:33 PM.

Quick Reply