Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Lactose in my IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
HeavyKettleBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Default Lactose in my IPA

I have searched the forums and lactose brings up many results. I could not read them all and many pertained to additions in stouts. I am brewing outside the box today and my question is, "how much is too much" since I have never used lactose sugar before. Going to brew up a 5 gal batch of a Milk IPA along the same profile as FFF Apocalypse Cow, which I have yet to taste. Judging from the reviews on BA and the opinion of a friend, I am flying blind but am confident. Not looking to replicate their beer, just experimenting. I included the recipe if curious. If anyone has experience with lactose, please advise on recommended amount.

#9 MO
#1 Crystal 60
#.5 Honey Malt
1oz magnum 60m
1oz amarill0 20m
1oz amarillo 15m
1oz amarillo 10m
1oz centennial 10m
1oz amarillo 5m
1oz centennial 5m
lactose 4oz-8oz TBD??? 5m
single infusion 156deg
fly sparge to 6.5 gal
WYEAST 1272
target OG 1.058-1.060
target FG 1.014-1.016
2oz amarillo dry hop

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
SouthBay
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

Never had the beer you mentioned, but i've used lactose in a number of beers. I'd say go for 4oz, and adjust from there if you like it. With the honey, Caramel, and MO, it'll be a sweet beer, similar enough to the Vanilla Caramel Cream Ale recipe thats on here from Cheesefood.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
TarheelBrew13
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I haven't tried using lactose in an IPA but I have used it in some very hoppy dark beers and I have found that I need around a pound it to be prominent. Personally, I'd start with 8 oz and adjust from there.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #4
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 337 Times on 187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelBrew13
I haven't tried using lactose in an IPA but I have used it in some very hoppy dark beers and I have found that I need around a pound it to be prominent. Personally, I'd start with 8 oz and adjust from there.
Apocalypse Cow is great, and smooth for 9-10%. If it was my ipa, I would drop the honey malt, if you havent used it before it is pretty sweet even in small doses. I would also reduce the mash temp to around 152. Lactose is non fermentable, so with it and the crystal you will end up with a pretty high FG mashing at 156. Hard to go wrong with those Amarillo additions if you have it.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeezerpleezer View Post
Apocalypse Cow is great, and smooth for 9-10%. If it was my ipa, I would drop the honey malt, if you havent used it before it is pretty sweet even in small doses. I would also reduce the mash temp to around 152. Lactose is non fermentable, so with it and the crystal you will end up with a pretty high FG mashing at 156. Hard to go wrong with those Amarillo additions if you have it.
Thanks Skeezer, I had to keep the honey malt since it was already crushed and I had asked my LHBS to mill it twice. I had to stir the hell out of it! I did mash in at lower temp per the advice of my LHBS. It was the only advice he could give me regarding using lactose sugar with an IPA. Mash is currently resting for a few more minutes. I deviated some from the recipe since I was going to use Magnum but subbed Sorachi at the last minute. Most everybody here in SoCal is about the hops. I have been considering the idea of a hop heavy IPA with more malt backbone and a sweet but creamy initial taste. Hoping I can turn the SWMBO onto something other than hefeweizen. Yes, been holding onto my stash of amarillo just for a special brew.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBay View Post
Never had the beer you mentioned, but i've used lactose in a number of beers. I'd say go for 4oz, and adjust from there if you like it. With the honey, Caramel, and MO, it'll be a sweet beer, similar enough to the Vanilla Caramel Cream Ale recipe thats on here from Cheesefood.
My thoughts exactly. Can always add more if needed. I'll have to check that recipe. I think wifey would like a dessert beer.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #7
HollywoodMX
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I actually would'nt drop the honey malt from the recipe. I use it often, its more agressive when the beer is young but rounds out after the second "aging week" nicely. I use lactose occasionaly and found I got better results with more than 4oz per 5 gallons, 6 would be safe. One thing with lactose it doesnt age well in the keg after a few months you can notice a distinctive off note.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:35 PM   #8
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelBrew13 View Post
I am trying to get the SWMBO involved with brewing. With that said, I am anticipating using lactose in a near future brew of a raspberry cream porter since she has a sweet tooth. I think that I may use your advice and go heavy on that one. I will most definately bottle this future batch and condition for several months. May make a good Thanksgiving Day beverage.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:41 PM   #9
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollywoodMX View Post
I actually would'nt drop the honey malt from the recipe. I use it often, its more agressive when the beer is young but rounds out after the second "aging week" nicely. I use lactose occasionaly and found I got better results with more than 4oz per 5 gallons, 6 would be safe. One thing with lactose it doesnt age well in the keg after a few months you can notice a distinctive off note.
If it taste as good as I intend, it may not last a month! So I am torn between 4oz-6oz. I do not want to lose the hop flavor or aroma so I am overloading on the late additions. I have about two hours to make a decision since I want to incorporate the sugar into the boil and avoid adding to secondary or when transferring to keg. I agree, I like honey malt also. Been using it more frequently.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:41 PM   #10
JimTheHick
Recipes 

I too really like the honey malt sweetness. I use 0.5 to 1 pound per five gallon batch. With IBUs around 80-100 it's balanced. I haven't had a too sweet beer yet (I get good attenuation).

Quick Reply