Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > for the lactose intolerant?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2007, 09:12 PM   #1
csp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default for the lactose intolerant?

i wanna make cheese's cca but im lactarded.i tried to find malto dexterine at the health food store but they had none.so the sales hippie pointed me to lactobacillus acidophilus.the ingredients are:freeze dried unfiltered apple juice,maltodexterine,soy protein isolate,pure crystaline fructose,lactobacillus acidophilus,bulgaricus and bififdobacteria bifidus.big words that i know nothing about.anyone?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2007, 09:23 PM   #2
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by csp
i wanna make cheese's cca but im lactarded.i tried to find malto dexterine at the health food store but they had none.so the sales hippie pointed me to lactobacillus acidophilus.the ingredients are:freeze dried unfiltered apple juice,maltodexterine,soy protein isolate,pure crystaline fructose,lactobacillus acidophilus,bulgaricus and bififdobacteria bifidus.big words that i know nothing about.anyone?
Is your grammar really that bad? You don't believe in capitalization or spaces after commas?

Use Splenda or any other non-fermentable sugar.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:25 PM   #3
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
Is your grammar really that bad?
He said he was lactarded - lol

Old 05-17-2007, 09:25 PM   #4
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I really don't know anything about this. But, I have to say, your post made me LMAO!

BTW, couldn't you just pop a Lactaid when you dink one, again I don't know anything about this.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:26 PM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Lactobacillus acidophilus is one of several bacteria in the genus Lactobacillus. It is in some countries sometimes used commercially together with Streptococcus salivarius and Lactobacillus delbrueckii ssp. bulgaricus in the production of acidophilus-type yogurt.

Lactobacillus acidophilus gets its name from lacto- meaning milk, -bacillus meaning rod-like in shape, and acidophilus meaning acid-loving. This bacterium thrives in more acidic environments than most related microorganisms (pH 4-5 or lower) and grows best at 45 degrees Celsius. L. acidophilus occurs naturally in the human (and animal) intestine, mouth, and ****** [1]. L. acidophilus ferments lactose into lactic acid, like many (but not all) lactic acid bacteria. Certain related species (known as heterofermentive) also produce ethanol, carbon dioxide, and acetic acid this way. L. acidophilus itself (a homofermentative microorganism) produces only lactic acid. Like many bacteria, L. acidophilus can be killed by excess heat, moisture, or direct sunlight.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactobacillus_acidophilus

Sounds to me like something that we all strive to keep OUT of our beer... Lactobacillus is NOT good drinks.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:51 PM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by csp
Yeah, most of that stuff is in the yogurt I eat...

Old 05-18-2007, 05:31 AM   #7
feedthebear
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm lactose intolerant too. But I'm usually okay with a little milk, as long as I'm not drinking a milk shake. I do okay with 8oz. lactose in 5 gallons of beer.

Use Carapils, the same amount that you would of maltodexterine.

Drinking: Cab.Sav/Merlot Wine, Grand Cru, Hazelnut Stout #3, Ordinary Bitter

Old 05-18-2007, 12:19 PM   #8
csp
Recipes 

wow....... Cheezy, I did not know that i was going to be graded on my grammar. I was just looking for a casual place to find an answer. But I suppose now that you are Mr. One-Hit-Wunder with your recipe you are now also a critic. BTW, I MEANT to misspell wonder. JIC. I don't need your help since you're on a high horse and you can't give a straight answer. BTW, I'm a journalist with a degree in English and Literature from USC. This is the Internet, not a thesis. If you want proper English, visit www.m-w.com/ -- Merriam Websters -- it is a fine resource for people like yourself who obviously have too much time on their hands to ridicule those of us looking for a decent hobby with decent people involved. Thanks to the others of you who continue to give encouragement and support. Your help is much appreciated. I look forward to hearing from all you again in the future.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:07 PM   #9
djamwolfe
Recipes 

My son is lactose intolerant - or lactarded as you call it, and we do give him lactobacillus acidophilus tablets almost everyday. It helps him alot with the side effects of any lactose intake. We still try to give him lactaid before he eats any large amount, but the lactobacillus acidophilus tablets work.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:28 PM   #10
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by csp
wow....... Cheezy, I did not know that i was going to be graded on my grammar. I was just looking for a casual place to find an answer. But I suppose now that you are Mr. One-Hit-Wunder with your recipe you are now also a critic. BTW, I MEANT to misspell wonder. JIC. I don't need your help since you're on a high horse and you can't give a straight answer. BTW, I'm a journalist with a degree in English and Literature from USC. This is the Internet, not a thesis. If you want proper English, visit www.m-w.com/ -- Merriam Websters -- it is a fine resource for people like yourself who obviously have too much time on their hands to ridicule those of us looking for a decent hobby with decent people involved. Thanks to the others of you who continue to give encouragement and support. Your help is much appreciated. I look forward to hearing from all you again in the future.
First off, I did help by suggesting Splenda. Secondly, just because this is "the Internet" doesn't mean you can be sloppy. Hitting the shift key and the space bar occasionally is hardly asking you to extend yourself. I know a quadroplegic who can only type with pegs strapped to his hands, and he can type correctly. And yes, I really do know such a person.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Quick Reply